SysEx MIDI Dump? Or how you do it?

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
Bren3000

SysEx MIDI Dump? Or how you do it?

Post by Bren3000 »

Hi all,

Just got the S8. Quite happy with it, but now after couple of day into details I would like to record SysEx to my DAW so I did a quick read of the manual and could not locate this function anywhere?
My background and workflow has been always like this - to record exclusive messages of each machine into DAW so that after few days I can recall the project and all adjustment to each machine this way and not to save patches! Have lots of automation and cant work wiothout this funcion.

Have I missed this and the S8 cannot offer SysEx MIDI Dump??

How do you then recall all the automation and presets?

Please advise, I would appreciate it.

all the best,
Bren
rsaintjohn

Re: SysEx MIDI Dump? Or how you do it?

Post by rsaintjohn »

Although the System-8 MIDI Implementation Chart indicates that SysEx is transmitted and received, there is no documentation on it, and no function that I know of in the menu to initiate a bulk dump.

It's not unusual for Roland to release more complete MIDI docs for their gear that covers SysEx a few months after release (example: JD-Xi). Your best bet would be to contact Support and see if they have any non-published information available, or a timeline as to when if and when it might be released.
Bren3000

Post by Bren3000 »

Hi rsaintjohn,

Thank you for reply.
What is the best addreess for supoort? Where to should I look for?

my best,
Bren
rsaintjohn wrote:Although the System-8 MIDI Implementation Chart indicates that SysEx is transmitted and received, there is no documentation on it, and no function that I know of in the menu to initiate a bulk dump.

It's not unusual for Roland to release more complete MIDI docs for their gear that covers SysEx a few months after release (example: JD-Xi). Your best bet would be to contact Support and see if they have any non-published information available, or a timeline as to when if and when it might be released.
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

Bren3000 wrote:Thank you for reply.
In general, Roland Support groups only provide support to customers in their own region. Check here for the website for your region, and follow the links to Support.

https://www.roland.com/global/international/
Bren3000

Post by Bren3000 »

I did.

I am from Sloevnia and sincer we are very small, very ofter we do not have suppoert we need and in this case same story as the Roland do not have us listed :)

Will send to UK supoort, they usually help.
rsaintjohn wrote:
Bren3000 wrote:Thank you for reply.
In general, Roland Support groups only provide support to customers in their own region. Check here for the website for your region, and follow the links to Support.

https://www.roland.com/global/international/