ADSR

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
runningman67

ADSR

Post by runningman67 »

Why are there two sets?
I know how to use them. I'm no newbie but why 2 on the 8 and XA?
cello

Re: ADSR

Post by cello »

One ADSR controls the FILTER and the other controls the AMP. The result of using both of these is that you get broader shapes of sound - eg a quick attack on the AMP but a slower attack in opening the filter more slowly, so you get a phased entry of the sound kind of thing.
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

cello wrote:One ADSR controls the FILTER and the other controls the AMP. The result of using both of these is that you get broader shapes of sound - eg a quick attack on the AMP but a slower attack in opening the filter more slowly, so you get a phased entry of the sound kind of thing.
Wow. I can't wait to get home and play with that.
Too many years pressing presets and getting bogged down with Touch screens.

I think the system 8 is a masterpiece.

Cheers Cello
cello

Post by cello »

You'll enjoy using the two AMPs - it's fabulous; and I agree with your statement about the System-8 :)
Manic

Post by Manic »

It's quite common to have a dedicated envelope for the filter as well as for the amp. You may not always see them on the front panel though..
zombietactics

Post by zombietactics »

Says
runningman67 wrote:Why are there two sets?
I know how to use them. I'm no newbie but why 2 on the 8 and XA?
Just busting your chops here, but you need to adopt a different understanding of the term "newbie", lol.

(I'm familiar enough with your work that I'd agree you aren't a newb ... but what an odd hole in your knowledge-base. We all have them, though)