USB Audio Levels

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
ABGgd

USB Audio Levels

Post by ABGgd »

My setup: System-8 connected to my Mac via USB. A pair of monitor speakers attached to the System-8. I route the audio from the Mac out through the synth.

When I try to record audio, in Garageband, the audio level is really low. After some playing around, I found that I could raise the input level by increasing the AMP level and/or the main volume control on the S8. But this makes the System-8 insanely loud through my monitors. I suppose I could lower the volume on my monitors but there still would a huge disparity between the audio levels coming from the computer vs the output of the synth.

What is the correct setup for recording audio via USB?

P.S. I have not touched the boost settings in the menu.
ABGgd

Re: USB Audio Levels

Post by ABGgd »

No one? Buehler?

So it seems the output level controlled by the main volume and amp level knob affects both the output volume and USB together, which is a shame. It would have been nice if each had their own levels.

My solution for now has been to set my monitors to 50% and set the output volume and amp level of the synth to get something usable in the DAW.

I still haven't managed to get the playback levels from the computer the be the same as the synth. I'll keep poking at it though.
zombietactics

Re: USB Audio Levels

Post by zombietactics »

This issue has been a major failing of almost every manufacturer who includes a USB audio interface on their synths/keyboards.

The only manufacturer who seems to have gotten a clue is Novation ... but their drivers seem buggy and prone to crashing.