Please explain the 3rd Plug Out

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
runningman67

Please explain the 3rd Plug Out

Post by runningman67 »

So another one of my basic questions.

I love my S8. Beyond my expectations.

I don't use a DAW.

How will I use the Plug Out 3 when a new One, that I want, comes a long.
rsaintjohn

Re: Please explain the 3rd Plug Out

Post by rsaintjohn »

Unless it's included as a firmware update (like the 106 was with the last one), you will likely need to get a DAW. Even if it's just to load the plug-out. That's the way it is right now. I don't use DAWs for production either, but I've had no problem loading the plug-outs using GarageBand on the Mac, or Ableton Live 9 Lite, which I got for free with some gear (may even have been System-1m). I also gave it a try with Reaper, which is free to try, cheap to buy, and plug-outs worked fine. Sooner or later I may even try using one of these for their intended purpose.

But as of now, a DAW is the only available "Host Application" option for transferring plug-outs. I'm hoping Roland is working on its own standalone solution and will surprise us all, but I've seen nothing to indicate that they're doing that.
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

Thank you sir.

Seems like I will have to step out of my comfort zone, or leave Plug Out 3 empty .

Brilliant synth though.
zombietactics

Post by zombietactics »

This is one of those cases where it's good to form a working relationship with either a local retailer or other local synth-heads. I'd have no problem loading a Plug-out into a synth for a computerless/DAWless aquaintance. I know a few stores who'd be just as cool ... provide you actually bought the instrument there.

As excellent as the the customer service is at Sweetwater (major US mail-order retailer), I'd bet that they would be happy to load it up for you if you bought both the synth and the plug-out from them. I know they have done things like that in the past. They go out of there way to load the latest firmware on instruments, for instance.
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

zombietactics wrote:This is one of those cases where it's good to form a working relationship with either a local retailer or other local synth-heads. I'd have no problem loading a Plug-out into a synth for a computerless/DAWless aquaintance. I know a few stores who'd be just as cool ... provide you actually bought the instrument there.

As excellent as the the customer service is at Sweetwater (major US mail-order retailer), I'd bet that they would be happy to load it up for you if you bought both the synth and the plug-out from them. I know they have done things like that in the past. They go out of there way to load the latest firmware on instruments, for instance.
Thats a great idea. I reckon my mate Andy at PMT will do that for me. Nice fella and I bought my S8 and xi there.