Is it time to sell my 106?

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
WhatThe

Is it time to sell my 106?

Post by WhatThe »

The title says it all really!

I'm very keen on the System 8, but wonder if clearing out the 106 (which I have a slight love affair with) might be a bit of a mistake.

Is this thing truly going to be able to take its place?
runningman67

Re: Is it time to sell my 106?

Post by runningman67 »

That decision can only be made by you but the 106 plugout is superb. There are sweet spots there, which you dont get with other digital synths imo. The ACB thing works.

Can you afford to keep your 106 and get the S8. Remember, there is a lot more to come from Roland regarding the S8.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

runningman67 wrote:.....Can you afford to keep your 106 and get the S8. Remember, there is a lot more to come from Roland regarding the S8.
I probably could, though after the purchase of my JD-XA, my wife may have a different take on things.

I kind of knew what the answer would be tbh, I know I need to try it out....its times like this when you need someone to say " yes, sell it...the S8 is a perfect replica and replacement" lol!!
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

WhatThe wrote:
runningman67 wrote:.....Can you afford to keep your 106 and get the S8. Remember, there is a lot more to come from Roland regarding the S8.
I probably could, though after the purchase of my JD-XA, my wife may have a different take on things.

I kind of knew what the answer would be tbh, I know I need to try it out....its times like this when you need someone to say " yes, sell it...the S8 is a perfect replica and replacement" lol!!
I also have the JD XA. Other people may disagree but the S8 sounds better to my ears. For me it sounds analogue. I'm not over analytical about stuff and I don't like to do say this is better or worse than each other because lifes too short and its all down to taste but the System 8 is so blummin simple to work.
I gushed over the XA but if I had to sell one it would be the XA.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Would you describe them as different beasts though?
From what I've heard they're going to compliment each other perfectly! I'm still trying to get my head around the XA, I know it's deep, but I can't seem to master it just yet....I'm sure it'll click soon and I'll have that "eureka " moment. I need to understand the mod matrix, seems lacking to me at the moment, guess I need more time.
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

WhatThe wrote:Would you describe them as different beasts though?
From what I've heard they're going to compliment each other perfectly! I'm still trying to get my head around the XA, I know it's deep, but I can't seem to master it just yet....I'm sure it'll click soon and I'll have that "eureka " moment. I need to understand the mod matrix, seems lacking to me at the moment, guess I need more time.
They are very different. Trouble is, the System 8 highlights all the flaws with the XA's.
The green screen is easier on the eye, you can turn down or turn off the green backround lights. There's a knob for scrolling. The sequencer is easy, the effects are straight forward.
Less is more. It's not over designed.

The XA is an enigma. It is stunning and ugly at the same time but it's as if it owns you rather than the other way round but the good moments on the XA are great moments that I have never experienced with another synth.
system 8 Beta User

Post by system 8 Beta User »

Is it time to sell my 106? No!!!

Wait for a better OS with no Bugs for System 8 and and it can be perfect!

I am annoyed that I bought it for 1550€ :(
pelican

Post by pelican »

runningman67 wrote: Remember, there is a lot more to come from Roland regarding the S8.
It's Roland. I wouldn't count on it
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

pelican wrote:
runningman67 wrote: Remember, there is a lot more to come from Roland regarding the S8.
It's Roland. I wouldn't count on it

I am an optomist. Keep believing Pelican :)
scottkahn

Post by scottkahn »

Can you live with only 49 keys? If not, keep the 106. If this doesn't bother you, then a System-8 with the 106 is really fantastic. It sounds like a real 106, but adds some extra capabilities, like the step sequencer, for example, and I think a second oscillator (trying to recall offhand, can't confirm at the moment).
system 8 Beta User

Post by system 8 Beta User »

Buy second hand two Roland JU 6(8 Voice) for 500€. Sound like real 106 and sound better than System 8 /106 Plug out for me.

And still have money left over for Moog Minitaur Sub Bass Monster or/and Juno Alpha 1 :)
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

system 8 Beta User wrote:Buy second hand two Roland JU 6(8 Voice) for 500€. Sound like real 106 and sound better than System 8 /106 Plug out for me.

And still have money left over for Moog Minitaur Sub Bass Monster or/and Juno Alpha 1 :)
Then go buy them and shut the fuck up! You are getting pretty boring with your critiques.
I love the System8 because first the system8 itself is a great synth, then there is the Jupiter 8 synth engine which sounds so close to the Jupiter 8 I can't tell the difference, the 106 wasn't that great of synth to begin with, it was an ok synth, I sold mine because I was not impressed but the emulation on the system 8 is really close to a mediocre synth to begin with....it is the same synth engine as the JU-06 so your evaluation of the JU06 sounding better than the System 8 is bullshit. So all in all the System 8 is a great synth overall. I don't buy your critique of the System 8 at all.

I bought the System 8 for the System 8 and the Jupiter 8, in slot 4 I have the SH-2 which has a great sound, the 106 was never my favorite synth....so yawn at the 106, it is nice to have but not a biggie for me.
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

richardbates1 wrote:
system 8 Beta User wrote:Buy second hand two Roland JU 6(8 Voice) for 500€. Sound like real 106 and sound better than System 8 /106 Plug out for me.

Then go buy them and shut the fuck up! You are getting pretty boring with your critiques.
At last, I thought it was just me.