System-8 Firmware v. 1.12 Released

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
rsaintjohn

System-8 Firmware v. 1.12 Released

Post by rsaintjohn »

System-8 Firmware version 1.12 has been released. Looks like it addresses a number of defects, including disappearing patch data, and the bug mono/portamento cutout bug.

Since we've seen patches updated with firmware updates, it's probably worth backing up/exporting any of your custom patches & performances, or those that you're currently using. You may not have to do this unless you execute a Factory Reset on any of the plug-out slots, but it's worth considering that this may be a good time to save your work to SD Card.

https://goo.gl/rZug62 (short URL directly to 1.12 page)
rsaintjohn

Re: System-8 Firmware v. 1.12 Released

Post by rsaintjohn »

If, after installing 1.12, you get an error -- "Sys Mem Damaged!" -- I suggest the following.

First, if it's not too late (if you're still on 1.11), do a full backup to SD Card (MENU / UTILITY / BACKUP) and call it something like s8bak-pre112.bin. This will save everything: system settings, plug-out configuration, your current patch and performance banks.

If you do get the error above, you're going to have to do a factory reset. I chose "EXCEPT PLUG-OUT", and the error seems to have gone away. But that did reset my System 8 Patches and Performances back to the Presets (it didn't seem to modify those in the Plug-Out slots like Jupiter 8, Juno 106, etc.)

Fortunately I did a backup of my 1.11 system to SD before updating to 1.12. So after the Factory Reset, I did a restore of my 1.11 backup. As far as I can tell, this restored everything back to normal and I still have 1.12 as the new and current version (in other words, it didn't go back to 1.11 when I restored).

This appears that this is the quickest and most reliable way to get back up and running as you were with 1.11, if 1.12 causes a problem.

If you didn't backup 1.11 and 1.12 is giving the "Sys Mem Damaged!" error, I don't know any way around the Factory Reset. It's possible that it is the only option, and you'll lose your custom patches and performances, unless you backed those up to SD card.

I reported all of this to Roland US Support, so it's possible they'll turn around a 1.13 that doesn't introduce the error.
cello

Post by cello »

Great that you reported this to Roland. Wonder what the cause was? I did the update yesterday and had no errors; ie worked as expected (although I always do backups of gear prior to such updates as you never know!).
system 8 Beta User

Post by system 8 Beta User »

"If, after installing 1.12, you get an error -- "Sys Mem Damaged!"

I have the same her!

There are even more bug exists OS 1.11 and 1.12

1. Chord Memory, filter cutoff the LFO rates are recalling wrong. All the way up even though they aren't stored that way.

2. Sound like "digital dirty Noise" on high frequencies line out. On any patches with a lot going on in mid and high frequencies: strings and horns for instance, there is a whole lot of uncomfortable fizzy harshness.

3. System-8 as a midi controller to control my VSTi's. But it seems the Amp Sustain and Release are sending wrong types of midi messages

4.Utility / Export / Patch Name (106BA ItaloSeq 2) for 16 character / Enter / Sel -/ Count:1 (Ent) / Rename (106BA ItaloS.s8p) only Rename 12 character(106BA ItaloS)! Why ? Save it to (106BA ItaloSeq 3) / Export Yes and Overwrite my Patch (106BA ItaloSeq 2)! Because only Rename 12 character(106BA ItaloS)! Ex and Import over SD Carte That sucks so much!
Patch Name only for max 12 character(like "106BA Italo1") to save for Backup Patch or lost old patch 16 character Name Patch...are Overwrite.

5. Effect 1, 2, 3 Level controller off to 255 max unbalanced

6. Mixer OSC1, OSC2 , OSC3 / Sub, Noise, Level controller off to 255 max unbalanced. At 120 all Digital distortion.

7. AMP / Level controller no balance Pan R/L to lfo. Why not option in the menu, shift button or for Step Seq Pan left / Right Sound?

8. Juno Chorus 1 & 2 only for Juno! Why not for System 8. Why not option in the menu or shift button for all Synth.

9. Only 64 Patch one Synth. Why not 128 Patch one Synth over shift button or menu?

10. Juno 106 Plug out ADSR2 why over menü. Faster over shift button.

11. All Effect 1, 2, 3 controller over shift button faster edit. Not over menu for edit FX

12 . edit all controller, button and fader ("midi address number") over menu.
It would help matters, for DAW Faderbox for VST Synth. Why not?
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Wow I haven't experienced any of that, sorry too hear about all that mess.
Everything for me went smoothly and no errors or bugs so far?
But I just upgraded, maybe bugs will show up??
runningman67

Post by runningman67 »

richardbates1 wrote:Wow I haven't experienced any of that, sorry too hear about all that mess.
Everything for me went smoothly.
Same here.
skinmechanic

Post by skinmechanic »

I have no issues with V1.11 so for me no need or rush to update, I may wait for the next (if there is one) release.