Hoping for some clarity

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
zombietactics

Hoping for some clarity

Post by zombietactics »

The System-8 is really appealing to me, especially given recent assurances by Roland that a D-50 plug-out is in the works, and almost certainly a JX-3P/8P plug-out as well.

I really like the SH-2 plug-out in my System-1 ... that thing just sounds round, beautiful, and ... analog.

So a System-8 seems to be in my future. I had resigned myself to loading up the Juno-106 and JX-3P plug-outs, with the SH-2 occupying the the 3rd slot. But here comes the conundrum ... I want more. I've recently had a blast playing around with demos of the ProMars and System-100 plug-outs, and Roland has the aforementioned D-50 coming along soon enough.

Dangit ... not enough slots!

Can anyone with a System-8 confirm that it is relatively easy to load backups or something, containing a different set of plug-outs? I really don't want to be tied to updating/replacing plug-outs slots via computer/USB, which is the only method available on the System-1.
runningman67

Re: Hoping for some clarity

Post by runningman67 »

zombietactics wrote:
Dangit ... not enough slots!

Can anyone with a System-8 confirm that it is relatively easy to load backups or something, containing a different set of plug-outs? I really don't want to be tied to updating/replacing plug-outs slots via computer/USB, which is the only method available on the System-1.
You read my mind, not enough slots for what's coming and yes, you will need a computer to replace, change the plugouts and I haven't even got a DAW.

Don't let it put you off though. It's worth it.
skinmechanic

Post by skinmechanic »

The system 8 will have a JX8 plug-out for sure but there will not be a D50 plugout for the System 8 because the original D50's synth architecture relied on samples for the attack point of a waveform with the synthesis coming in after that. The System 8 cannot load samples, can see a D50 software plugin coming one day like the Sound Canvas software synth they have. Also its a pity that Roland as per usual don't write a decent file system that you can't store plug-outs and load them in from an SD card.

Also what if you wanted to use Slots 1 and 2? As System 8 owners are we not getting the plug-in versions? with no way of backing up these plug outs leaving us with one slot isn't great at thus stage.
zombietactics

Post by zombietactics »

skinmechanic wrote:... there will not be a D50 plugout for the System 8 because ...
Roland already announced that there will be a D-50 plug-out, on their FaceBook page.
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

zombietactics wrote:
skinmechanic wrote:... there will not be a D50 plugout for the System 8 because ...
Roland already announced that there will be a D-50 plug-out, on their FaceBook page.
Roland Cloud already announced that there will be a D-50 plug-out, on their Facebook page.

It's a fine distinction, but one worth noting.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Also on Roland cloud FB page Roland stated that they will be creating a JD800 plug-in.
But I would think that they will be just computer based plug-ins that won't be able to load into the System8?
I could be wrong? But it comes down to these synths the JD800 and D50 are sample based waveforms, I think this has been stated by others on this post that the System8 is not sample based architechure.