Happy (so far) Owner of a System-8!

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
PauloF

Happy (so far) Owner of a System-8!

Post by PauloF »

Dear forum colleagues,
After a long period of being away, my little home studio just got a new member to make company to the Integra-7 and to the Korg iM1...I'm sad the MOXF6 had to go...

Since yesterday I'm a happy owner of a system-8 to which I just added a System-100 Plug-out!

My first impressions?
Plus points:
I'm impressed with the versatility, capabilities, sound manipulation and quality and with the (mighty) Sequencer!

Not so good...
- No Librarian
- Good to see more Patch/Performance locations (64 for each Synth and 64 Performances, nowadays are really not very much...)

Although the SD card and the Backup/Restore, export/Import and Exchange functions can give some degree of versatility, it's not enough for heavy stage usage.

Well.. a mighty synth, a la JP-8000 but definitely not a synth for ROMPLER lovers, that's for sure! :-)

Cheers,
PauloF
Attachments
IMG_2926.JPG
IMG_2926.JPG (41.33 KiB) Viewed 3528 times
cello

Re: Happy (so far) Owner of a System-8!

Post by cello »

Yay - congratulations! Expect to lose all sense of time... you know what I mean!

Fabulous bit of gear - enjoy :)
rcmusic35

Post by rcmusic35 »

Congrats'

And yes we need a librarian...but i must say export/import is quite good
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

cello wrote:Yay - congratulations! Expect to lose all sense of time... you know what I mean!

Fabulous bit of gear - enjoy :)
Hi Cello, I really know what you mean... I already did...my whole weekend was wiped out in no time :)

This is really a awesome machine, and the Sequencer is.... Mighty!!!
I just realized that I can drive the i7 parts with the S8 sequencer data... that is HUGE!
So the sequencer actually sends MIDI Data out!

One more negative thing... the Manuals are very basic...
Thank God there are so many videos out there

Very good complement for the i7 ;-)

Cheers,
PauloF
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

rcmusic35 wrote:Congrats'

And yes we need a librarian...but i must say export/import is quite good
Thanks rcmusic35
In fact it is!
Maybe some programming guru can do a Librarian from the BIN. and TXT. data :)

Cheers,
PauloF
CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

Hello Paulo, congratulations! Nice new machine.

By the way, what is your opinion about the DeepMind 12?

Cheers!
Julio.
Locksley

Post by Locksley »

Yeah, it has so many possibilities still unimplemented and I hope Roland will add, support and push for this product for quite some time to come.

I think, as you mentioned a librarian is a good start. I hope that inbuilt in that librarian is a way for us to set a virtual midi synth where we can set what parameters light up for use towards midi control.

I wish for a higher degree of control for the parameters. I mentioned in another thread that a way to set the span and where that span is set within the range of the knob. Say I want the LFO to swing between 14-17 o'clock of a knob range.

I still haven't checked if the filter emulation can sound a bit squechly when oscilating with an LFO, if it emulates that behaviour from the electronics, what ever electric swarms that does that.

It is light, so carrying it around is not an issue.

I like green; I mean I always liked green alot so for me this is the perfect coulor coordinated syntheziser.

And I hope they on the software side incorporate Poly Aftertouch for System-8 syntheziser and if they release any New synth engines (but I think they can just pile on S8 instead, add more variations of osc, variations of filters and there chararastics etc) - I can see myself applying it to the Tone ala CS80 brilliance.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

CesarsoundOne wrote:Hello Paulo, congratulations! Nice new machine.

By the way, what is your opinion about the DeepMind 12?

Cheers!
Julio.
Hi Júlio, thanks

I had no opportunity to check the Deepmind12 yet, as I could not find it anywhere available for demo, but I confess that it crossed my mind as another option, as from what I could see from the videos, seems a very powerful synth and very decently priced compared to other brands equivalents.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Locksley wrote:Yeah, it has so many possibilities still unimplemented and I hope Roland will add, support and push for this product for quite some time to come.

I think, as you mentioned a librarian is a good start. I hope that inbuilt in that librarian is a way for us to set a virtual midi synth where we can set what parameters light up for use towards midi control.

I wish for a higher degree of control for the parameters. I mentioned in another thread that a way to set the span and where that span is set within the range of the knob. Say I want the LFO to swing between 14-17 o'clock of a knob range.

I still haven't checked if the filter emulation can sound a bit squechly when oscilating with an LFO, if it emulates that behaviour from the electronics, what ever electric swarms that does that.

It is light, so carrying it around is not an issue.

I like green; I mean I always liked green alot so for me this is the perfect coulor coordinated syntheziser.

And I hope they on the software side incorporate Poly Aftertouch for System-8 syntheziser and if they release any New synth engines (but I think they can just pile on S8 instead, add more variations of osc, variations of filters and there chararastics etc) - I can see myself applying it to the Tone ala CS80 brilliance.

One other thing that surprised me was the lack of Aftertouch recognition. For me this would be a very nice addition to the firmware on a next release.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Well guys... very bad news!

The System-8 just died after a factory reset...

Didn't last long

Time to return it :-(
Locksley

Post by Locksley »

I've had other synthezisers die on me, it happens.

Hopefully you will get a new one quickly. My S1m died after 10min but they sent a new one from the distributer and I switched it at my shop 1 week later, new one is still working :)

Might be an idea to become an electrician in this day and age...
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

PauloF wrote:Well guys... very bad news!

Didn't last long

Oops. That's not good. Is it completely dead (won't turn on), or does it just get stuck somewhere?
PauloF

Re: Not so Happy (ex) Owner of a System-8!

Post by PauloF »

mimoid wrote:
PauloF wrote:Well guys... very bad news!

Didn't last long

Oops. That's not good. Is it completely dead (won't turn on), or does it just get stuck somewhere?
Does turn on but it shows "System-8" on the screen and freezes there...

Well... I returned it today after 5 days

Going to buy something else with the money, as this was not a good sign :-(

A JD-Xi came with me home :-)
CesarsoundOne

Post by CesarsoundOne »

I am so sorry Paulo. But you will love the JD-Xi, it is small but powerful machine :)

Cheers,
Julio.
Locksley

Post by Locksley »

I will still champion S8. It is easy to work with and you can get very nostalgic with your music.

Anywho... I love my modular stuff - buy a rack :)