Anybody else copying from other Synths.

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
Synthtron

Re: Anybody else copying from other Synths.

Post by Synthtron »

spottingjonah wrote:This is good info here... but has anyone done this between the JP-80 and the S8 and done A/B comparisons? Would love to know how that worked out, especially using the JP-80 filter that was supposedly modeled after the Jupiter 8 (I think filter 2 if I'm not mistaken).

When I played an S8 there were some really cool patches that I would love to have on the JP-80, but didn't have time to do it at the time.
Yes, Filter 2 is based on the Jupiter-8, Filter 3 Moog, and the last one based on a Prophet.
I have tried to program my Juno-106 sounds into the Jupiter-80/50 but they sound very stiff and inorganic. Compared to the System-8 or a boutique JP-08 or JU-06 The Jupiter-50 falls pretty short when emulating those old Juno/ classic Roland analog sounds. I am not sure what the difference is in the modeling of a Jupiter-80/50 filter verses those of the Aira range but I guess it is their ACB technology at work and it really shines. I would say the Jupiter-80/50's filters are more of an approximation of the filters they emulate. Roland claimed they have also emulated the behavior of analog envelpes in the Jupiter-80/50 but again compared to the ACB stuff it leaves little to be desired in recreating the old analog sounds. The Sound from the Jupiter-80/50 will get you in the ballpark and could suffice for live use, that is what I have done. I am a bit of a purist in sound (Do not care if it is generated analog wise or digitally) and like old classic Roland sounds. the ACB stuff is good. You could try to emulate the System-8 on the Jupiter-80/50 but it will not sound as organic or alive, More complex sounds may not even be achieved. Likewise though, many sounds on the JP-80/50 cannot be gotten on a System-8 either. They compliment each other well.
spottingjonah

Post by spottingjonah »

That is really good to know... thanks for the follow up!!
proteus-ix

Post by proteus-ix »

mimoid wrote: The S-8 has only one LFO.
Does anyone know if it's possible to use CV to introduce more modulations like a 2nd LFO from external gear?