Patch and backup file format?

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
macdev

Patch and backup file format?

Post by macdev »

Hi all,
I'm loving the S8, but I'm not a fan of the fact that there's no library app for it. Most times I can decipher a file format, but I'm scratching my head on some of this. While the patch file format (.s8p) would be nice, I'd like to know if there's any documented file format for the sys8_bak.bin file. Because of the nature of how to do backups, I don't want to have to make change/save/remove card/put in computer/check difference/repeat.
rsaintjohn

Re: Patch and backup file format?

Post by rsaintjohn »

macdev wrote:Hi all,
I'm loving the S8, but I'm not a fan of the fact that there's no library app for it.
There is, but only on Roland Cloud. System-8, Jupiter 8 and Juno 106 plug-outs.
Most times I can decipher a file format, but I'm scratching my head on some of this. While the patch file format (.s8p) would be nice, I'd like to know if there's any documented file format for the sys8_bak.bin file. Because of the nature of how to do backups, I don't want to have to make change/save/remove card/put in computer/check difference/repeat.
There is no documentation of the file formats. Other than the TXT files that hold the name and performance information, the files are all binary. There's no SysEx doc for the System-8 as of yet, but if that ever comes that might provide some clues.

Also, you'll want to get into the habit of trying to squeeze a name and date into backup file names, because IIRC, the date is not preserved on the SD Card.
macdev

Post by macdev »

So if there's a librarian app on Roland Cloud, does it read my backup file and allow me to move things around, and/or delete patches? I can't find a reference to this feature anywhere.
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

macdev wrote:So if there's a librarian app on Roland Cloud, does it read my backup file and allow me to move things around, and/or delete patches? I can't find a reference to this feature anywhere.
The patch managers in these software versions let you retrieve patches/banks directly from the System-8, and send patches/banks from the software back to the S8. They're pretty much identical to the patch manager function built into each of the System-1 plug-outs. Each synth has its own manager, and each is treated individually (you use the S8 software for S8 patches, J8 software for J8 patches, etc.). None of the software handles Performances. They do not read System-8 system back-up files. But they are a handy way to fetch your patches, create custom banks, rename and reorder and reorganize patches, keep backups on your PC/Mac, and so on.
BlackRyder

Post by BlackRyder »

What do you think the chances are of Roland releasing a downloadable version of the Sys8, Juno, and Jupiter plugouts (or at least making cloud access to them free for System 8 owners)? The fact that right now I have to pay a subscription fee to manage my patches on an already expensive piece of equipment kind of rubs me the wrong way.
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

BlackRyder wrote:What do you think the chances are of Roland releasing a downloadable version of the Sys8, Juno, and Jupiter plugouts (or at least making cloud access to them free for System 8 owners)? The fact that right now I have to pay a subscription fee to manage my patches on an already expensive piece of equipment kind of rubs me the wrong way.
I'm hoping that they'll do what they did with the System-1 software: release them (through the download site, the Content Store or somehow accessible through the Cloud) as a "trial" versions, ones which (if they must) time-out after a few weeks as software VSTi synths, but allow the user to continue to use the patch management features. I think there's a good chance this will happen, but I suspect you'll at least need to be registered through Roland Cloud, even as a non-subscriber. That way they at least feel they got in the door, so to speak.

I think that would be acceptable and the right thing to do. The limited patch slots and management features of the System-8 almost require it for the synth to live up to its long-term potential. The SD card is fine, but not a friendly way to get around these limitations.