Separate tempos in performance?

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
macdev

Separate tempos in performance?

Post by macdev »

Hi all,
Can't seem to find an answer to this. I have a lower part with a sequence that runs at the correct tempo. The upper part is arpeggiated but runs at the master tempo speed. If I change the master tempo, then of course, the lower part is now incorrect. The tempo for the sequence is saved in the lower's patch, but if the master tempo is changed, the sequence runs at that speed. I want it to be locked to what's saved. Is there a way to get the two to have their own tempos? Thanks.
GilgaFrank

Re: Separate tempos in performance?

Post by GilgaFrank »

Have a look at Menu >> System >> Sync/Tempo >> Patch Tempo on/off ?
macdev

Post by macdev »

GilgaFrank wrote:Have a look at Menu >> System >> Sync/Tempo >> Patch Tempo on/off ?
That just syncs it with the LFO. Problem is, the lower patch is using the LFO, so I don't know if it'll work. I can try it but I'm not hopeful.
GilgaFrank

Post by GilgaFrank »

I suppose your other option would be to save the upper patch in a new location with a different tempo then use that in the performance.

I think Nick Batt alluded to this in his Sonic Lab review of the System-8, the performances are simply combinations of saved patches rather than individual "super-patches" themselves. i haven't tested this but believe that if you change a patch in one performance then it's changed in all performances that use that patch.
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

GilgaFrank wrote:I think Nick Batt alluded to this in his Sonic Lab review of the System-8, the performances are simply combinations of saved patches rather than individual "super-patches" themselves. i haven't tested this but believe that if you change a patch in one performance then it's changed in all performances that use that patch.
Correct. If you're in a Performance, and change and save/write one or both patches, then you have changed those patches wherever they're used. Performances are mostly just references to patch locations, and don't contain the actual tone data. When you're in Performance mode, those Patches are loaded into operational memory. You can make changes to the patches, but those changes will be lost if you navigate away to a different Performance.

Even when you write a Performance, all you are writing is "this Performance consists of this Lower patch found at this location, this Upper patch found at this location, the data of how they are relative to each other (key ranges, sound levels, etc.) and a few other Performance specific settings". But Write Performance does not write the changes to the Patches. That has to be done as separate actions, to write Lower part patch and write Upper part patch. This is to keep the user from accidentally changing patches with changes they might not want elsewhere (in other Performances), as you indicate.

For the OP, I do not believe each part/patch can have different tempos in a Performance. There is only one system clock, internal or external, and the patches are going to get their tempo from that. You can change the ARP STEP and Sequencer SCALE settings (1/8, 1/16, etc) for each to somewhat change their speed individually in relation to the clock. And they can have different pattern lengths. But they're still going to run at a single clock BPM taken either from the Performance's own Tempo setting or the current position of the knob (MENU/PERFORMANCE/COMMON/TEMPO SOURCE).