Unrealized potential

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
zombietactics

Unrealized potential

Post by zombietactics »

System-8 support seems to be less than aggressive or any kind of priority. The instrument does nothing that was not promised for the initial release ... only Jupiter-8, Juno-106 and mono-System-1 plug-outs are available, with no roadmap or even a hint of anything new on the horizon.

This is disappointing.

Unless some BIG announcements are forthcoming for Winter NAMM 2018 ... a dead product.
mkultra72

Re: Unrealized potential

Post by mkultra72 »

I agree... been thinking of buying this but its been a little disappointing to not see any forthcoming plugins and i also think the patches are lacking.. Nick Batt did have some good points when he made the review, none which seems to have been addressed..

I hope it goes down in price with 20-30% and i'll get one either way...
PaleSkinnySwede

Post by PaleSkinnySwede »

I'm in the same boat. I really want a System-8, but it seems so much more was promised. I'm therefor looking at the JD-XA instead but might end up with the S8 still.

I'm really hoping for a JX-10 soon, and I've seen traces of it. So, there might be more happening. I was only hoping things would happen a tiny bit faster than it is.
Locksley

Post by Locksley »

Wouldn't mind New synth engines with inspirations from the past, poly that is.

I am happy with my purchase, and the coming purchase of the mono plug-outs but yeah, push the product - all reviews are very positive and the sound is great.

I haven't really heard of anyone who got it who was greatly let down - have you?

Would be a waste to let such potential slipp...
mkultra72

Post by mkultra72 »

I'm not sure it's even good practice for Roland to update their products and make them "too good", because obviously they want you to purchase the upcoming, "even better!"-version (which always comes, sooner or later). So there's probably more strategy around updates and holding back a product than we might understand or realize..
PaleSkinnySwede

Locksley wrote:I haven't really heard of anyone who got it who was greatly let down - have you?
And that's the selling point I needed. I'm grabbing one before the Holidays :D
mkultra72 wrote:I'm not sure it's even good practice for Roland to update their products and make them "too good", because obviously they want you to purchase the upcoming, "even better!"-version (which always comes, sooner or later). So there's probably more strategy around updates and holding back a product than we might understand or realize..
Maybe this is the reason why I'm not a product manager at Roland:
1. Make the product great!
2. Push the product towards "too good" so more people buys it.
3. Start building the Plug-Out library to expand the great product to overturn all the sceptics.
4. Profit!
5. Laugh and whistle while walking to the bank.

:D
papasan

Post by papasan »

What originally got me to look at the S-8 was the plugin idea. Since getting it I don't used them. I discovered that virtually any sound that's possible in a plugin can be made with the native engine. And the S-8 engine is so good I don't care whether there are more plugins or not.
Locksley

Post by Locksley »

PaleSkinnySwede wrote:
Locksley wrote:I haven't really heard of anyone who got it who was greatly let down - have you?
Thoman is selling them dirt cheap right now! It is 100$ (1000SEK) lower than I bought it for a year ago (I get things cheap through buying multiple stuff and asking for a bundle price).

And I agree that the System-8 synth engine is very good sounding and that is why I am hoping for more new inventive plug-outs than just recreations.

And I like green..... lucky me :D
Acidizer

Post by Acidizer »

unless this division of roland has been shut down there should be more.

whatever potentially gets added to the system-8 doesn't change what is already there - the S8 engine and juipter and juno engines. those alone are more desirable than (probabl best case scenario) an extra JX-3P as a plug-out.

nick didn't even spot the tempo sync button, so that's one of his concerns moot.

if you aren't interested in what's already there, whatever may come in the future isn't going to tickle you either. bit of a silly, if understandable position - roland have done/are doing a really shit job at marketing this thing, leaving their customers in the dark.

the system-8 has an unbelievable sound and is already way more flexible and fun than most of what is on the market now. 18 resonant filters on the S8 engine alone.

the S8 still has amazing potential due to its awesome control panel if roland want to expand it. if not it still packs an unrivaled punch for what it offers.

personally i would love to see the jupiter and juno engines updated with an option to enable all dimmed parameters, bring them up to par with the S8 engine, but with the sound of their respective engines. that would be something! also, i'd go into melt down if they let us use the mind blowing SBF filter on the jupiter and juno engines!

but my advice is to enjoy what's there, not what may be. cause it's superb :)

even without any further plug-outs, a "dead product" it most certainly isn't... get yourself stuck into its amazing native engine, it is way more capable and fun than any nostalgia trip!
papasan

Post by papasan »

Yes, I agree. I really like the S-8 engine's six SBFs. There are many sound design problems that disappear with it. Double reed wind instruments - check. Metallic hammered piano sounds - check. Something more bizarre - yup, it's all good.

I believe we all can think of ways the instrument can be improved but what we have, IMO, is a machine that is every bit as great as the Jupiters of olde days and I think better in many ways too. I owned a JP-6 for 10 years and spent a lot of time on my friend's JP-8. The JP-6 was my go to machine for everything back then and today the S-8 is my main go to machine.
PaleSkinnySwede

Locksley wrote:
PaleSkinnySwede wrote:
Thoman is selling them dirt cheap right now! It is 100$ (1000SEK) lower than I bought it for a year ago (I get things cheap through buying multiple stuff and asking for a bundle price).

And I agree that the System-8 synth engine is very good sounding and that is why I am hoping for more new inventive plug-outs than just recreations.

And I like green..... lucky me :D
My local dealer in Sweden is actualy beats the price currently displayed at Thomann.
https://www.dlxmusic.se/produkter/klavi ... d-system-8

Oh, it's tempting! :)