System 8 - Poly Plugouts.

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer

System 8 - Poly Plugouts.

Postby jerry_merry » 13:53, 25 January 2018

So Namm is here. No new poly plugouts for the system -8. I think this is now going the way of many of Roland grandiose ideas. All big talk at the launch then nothing.....While I love the system-8 there is so much potential for additional synths - it what it was designed to do!!!!!! Why did I allow Roland to suck me into another one of their bullshit schemes.
jerry_merry

Re: System 8 - Poly Plugouts.

Postby Lunar » 20:52, 25 January 2018

The lack of any sort of activity on the System-8 front is starting to get a bit worrying. By now we should have had poly mode for the Sys-1 plugouts, a JX3P (or JX8, JX10) and maybe a Jupiter 4 or 6.
In all honesty, having very good re-creations of a Jupiter 8, Juno 106 & ProMars in front of me, as well as the System-8 itself, is still some serious noodling power, but more is always better. Especially given the hype around this synth when it came out.
Lunar

Postby richardbates1 » 05:53, 26 January 2018

I am not sure what Roland is doing with the Cloud and it's relationship to the System8?
I am a Roland Cloud subscriber but am thinking about canceling, I can't make sense out of what they are doing with the Cloud? There have been no plug-outs on the Cloud for the System8 and what Roland is putting up on the Cloud that they feel is important is beyond me.
richardbates1

Postby skinmechanic » 10:33, 27 January 2018

I saw this coming has soon as the Juno and Jupiter synths were made as plugins along with the system 8 itself. devaluing the System 8 is a mere controller and not a good one at that. With its rather short key bed, plastic chassis and no after touch i sold mine before prices came down.
skinmechanic

Postby andyr1960 » 08:48, 31 January 2018

The least Roland could do for us (if, as I fear, the Plug-Out concept is now dead) is to release an SDK so we can create our own. Roland promised further ARX cards for the Fantom G, which never happened and I feel stung again... and yet, 6 years later Korg are still supporting and improving the Kronos.
andyr1960

Postby Nhanyaro » 15:19, 31 January 2018

andyr1960 wrote:The least Roland could do for us (if, as I fear, the Plug-Out concept is now dead) is to release an SDK so we can create our own. Roland promised further ARX cards for the Fantom G, which never happened and I feel stung again... and yet, 6 years later Korg are still supporting and improving the Kronos.

Agree 100%. Korg has already done so, has launched an SDK for the digital oscillator of its new Prologue, and will be available a sound librarian next spring. Come on, Roland! Do not leave us abandoned
Nhanyaro

Postby mimoid » 15:40, 31 January 2018

andyr1960 wrote:The least Roland could do for us (if, as I fear, the Plug-Out concept is now dead) is to release an SDK so we can create our own. Roland promised further ARX cards for the Fantom G, which never happened and I feel stung again... and yet, 6 years later Korg are still supporting and improving the Kronos.

I believe that the PlugOut concept is now completely abandoned. There are just a few instruments that can be managed from the front panel of the S8, so Roland is instead focusing on the Boutique + Cloud concept. The same machine code: one with custom hardware, one with a VST wrapper.
mimoid

Postby Manic » 17:18, 31 January 2018

I think since they do focus on the cloud, I expect that there will come more polyphonic instruments in their legacy series which are NOT sample/pcm based, which will be suitable to plug-out to the S8. I can't imagine they will release a Jupiter-4 on the cloud WITHOUT plug-out support. People would be enraged then.
Manic

Postby zombietactics » 20:33, 8 February 2018

I was told directly, in-person, at NAMM, that there are more plugouts in the works. They will likely be available only through the Cloud service, however. Aside from that, I was told that the System-8 is "not dead", and that Roland has only begun to explore ACB technology.
zombietactics

Postby andyr1960 » 09:13, 10 February 2018

zombietactics wrote:I was told that the System-8 is "not dead", and that Roland has only begun to explore ACB technology.

I'll believe it when I see it - There's no reason why they can't put us System 8 owners minds at rest by bringing out poly versions of the mono plug-outs. The Boutique SH-01A is 4 voice poly, yet we're still stuck with a single monophonic voice on a synth that has 4X the DSP capability of the Boutiques.
andyr1960

Postby jerry_merry » 13:51, 13 February 2018

zombietactics wrote:I was told directly, in-person, at NAMM, that there are more plugouts in the works. They will likely be available only through the Cloud service, however. Aside from that, I was told that the System-8 is "not dead", and that Roland has only begun to explore ACB technology.

So did they go as far an explain what plugouts would be developed - a hint of a product roadmap?
jerry_merry

Postby Locksley » 15:24, 18 February 2018

I'm real happy with the VA synths I got with my System-8.

Now that does not mean I wouldn't like more poly engines. And I am still wondering if they can make more voices as they said that the System-8 is very powerful? If I remember correctly from Marcus Fullers examinations everything is done within the chips and then ported to a pair of DACs, so it is not like there is 8 DACs and that is why there is no more voices.

Why more; well I just want to be able to use my sustain pedal at times, or have pads with long releases without being cut off.

So an engine that sounds as good but have less going on, might that be enough to bring more voices. Or is the chips not as powerful as marketing would like us to believe..... hmm... marketing.... selling.... fooling.... Ooops......
Locksley

Return to System-8