New firmware soon!

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
PeZiK

Re: New firmware soon!

Post by PeZiK »

Info removed from IG, guess this was not supposed to be open to public yet.

Release on 606, 707, 808, 909 day - or never - who knows when it comes to Roland?
cello

Post by cello »

I can validate that Gattobus did indeed refer to an 'upcoming FW release'. However decided not to post here as I thought it would get deleted fairly quickly!

Even if Roland is working on a FW update, it doesn't mean they'll ever release it. It will be in relation to what effect they calculate such a release would have on unit sales.

And even if Roland is working on a FW update, they will want to control how and when information is released.

And maybe Roland even told Gattobus that they're working on a FW update but have no intention of releasing one.

So on all counts, the IG post was going to get deleted pronto!
SoundReverend

Post by SoundReverend »

Oh come one... :) I suppose it is just one of those "accidental" teaser things that happen on the internet. Apple did it, Behringer did it... and I think Roland did it before, too. Would be great, just got my System 8..
Acidizer

Post by Acidizer »

gatobus did a lot of the original patches on system-8 so makes sense.
Alphacode

Post by Alphacode »

@cello No company is wasting resources to work on something for it to be abandoned in the end, if Roland is working on an update , it is to be released and increase the sales of the unit they spend millions in development already.
rcmusic35

Post by rcmusic35 »

Cello is simply trying to un-leak the news ;-)))) Please forgive him ;-))))))
cello

Post by cello »

rcmusic35 wrote:Cello is simply trying to un-leak the news ;-)))) Please forgive him ;-))))))
*LIKE* !
skinmechanic

Post by skinmechanic »

I had some interesting conversations with a Roland UK Rep very recently, he says that the System 8 when it was released picked up some great sales, but says it needs to be reduced by £200 as the last 12 months have seen it drop off considerably in some ways the Roland Cloud has effected this. The new FW if released should help, I also think they need to release the JX8P plugout for the System 8 as an exclusive before releasing it to the cloud for at least 12 months. He also said that other releases from other manufacturers have steadied the sales of the System 8 and the reduction in price would be welcome if they could do it.

I sold mine for two reasons, the price point for me should have given it Aftertouch and 2 LFO's the Roland Cloud which made the System 8 redundant personally for me as the sound engines far outweighed the actual hardware.
ghunter82

Post by ghunter82 »

skinmechanic wrote:I sold mine for two reasons, the price point for me should have given it Aftertouch and 2 LFO's the Roland Cloud which made the System 8 redundant personally for me as the sound engines far outweighed the actual hardware.
What do you mean when you say sound engines outweigh the hardware? Do you mean the cloud VSTs sound better when ran natively in a DAW than when used as a plug-out in the system-8?
skinmechanic

Post by skinmechanic »

What I mean is there isn't much in sound difference between the cloud plugin versions of the Jupiter 8, Juno and System 8 sound engines to the hardware (If Any). Since for me the hardware system 8 was lacking (for the price tag) a 2nd LFO, after touch and at least a 61 key keyboard then it didn't warrant me keeping it.
andyr1960

Post by andyr1960 »

I hope that the Performance save issue has been addressed - it's been my No. 1 PITA!

I'd also be happy to have additional Saw & Square waveforms on Osc 3 and an extra LFO. As far as ditching the S8 for the software version, even with a new Mac, the CPU hit is too great. I'm more than happy to keep the hardware.
drk10

Post by drk10 »

I would LOVE more patch memory. 64 slots per plug out is way too few for a synth like the System 8 that encourages tweaking and exudes great sounds.
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

The only reason I'm still looking at the System 8 is so I can control Roland cloud plugins and eventually Omnisphere. Much of my workflow has shifted to cloud plugins so having a great hardware surface to control all this stuff would be ideal. I'm hoping there will be a bigger, badder ACB synth that's less Aria and more pro level kind of stuff.
rcmusic35

Post by rcmusic35 »

drk10 wrote:I would LOVE more patch memory. 64 slots per plug out is way too few for a synth like the System 8 that encourages tweaking and exudes great sounds.
launch an update without more patches slots would be the most deceiving. let's hope!
rcmusic35

Post by rcmusic35 »

Devnor wrote:The only reason I'm still looking at the System 8 is so I can control Roland cloud plugins and eventually Omnisphere. Much of my workflow has shifted to cloud plugins so having a great hardware surface to control all this stuff would be ideal. I'm hoping there will be a bigger, badder ACB synth that's less Aria and more pro level kind of stuff.

betatesting omnisphere, it's really working great