"the file data is invalid" error in VST librarian

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
moozyx

"the file data is invalid" error in VST librarian

Post by moozyx »

Hi folks,

I keep getting a "the file data is invalid" dialog box when using the System-8 VST as a librarian. The plugin MIDI ports are correctly configured (System-8 CTRL In/Out). "Track" and "Remote" are both off for the System-8 CTRL port.

Host: Ableton Live 10.0.6
System-8 OS: 1.30
VST Version: 1.31

Have tried the following without success:
1. Swapping USB cable
2. Swapping USB port on PC
3. Simple VST host (same result)

Any ideas?
S8 File data invalid.png
S8 File data invalid.png (588.27 KiB) Viewed 10673 times
nervewar

Re: "the file data is invalid" error in VST librarian

Post by nervewar »

I'm experiencing the exact same thing, I feel your pain. Weird thing is, I can connect using the JX-3P and Jupiter-8 plugins, just not the System-8.
holografique

Post by holografique »

yup, same problem here and reported by a couple other users on the FB group. Roland needs to either release an updated System 8 VST that still supports the 1.30 firmware of the hardware, or they need to release a new firmware for the hardware that supports the v1.31 VST.
moozyx

Post by moozyx »

After a bit of investigation, I think this a Windows 10 issue with the drivers. I doubt the VST is an issue as file transfers work perfectly on MacOS with the 1.31 VST.

On Windows10 I notice that there's a driver migration problem. It appears that the issue may be due to a windows update. Attached are screenshots of device manager and event viewer log where it can be seen that the driver was not successfully migrated (device not migrated error) and is not fully functional. Uninstalling including deleting the driver) and reinstalling has not worked.

If you're on Windows10 would you mind checking your system/s and see if you have the same issue?
Device not migrated
Device not migrated
Device not migrated.png (57.72 KiB) Viewed 10584 times
Partial or ambiguous mismatch
Partial or ambiguous mismatch
Partial or ambiguous mismatch.png (144.77 KiB) Viewed 10584 times
Device configured null.png
Device configured null.png (141.4 KiB) Viewed 10584 times
tonyhu21

Post by tonyhu21 »

Hi guys just wondered if anybody else find a solution for this problem as I am getting exactly the same thing can you please let me know thank you
holografique

Post by holografique »

I don't have those migration event errors in my driver for the System-8 on Windows 10. So I don't believe that is the root cause.

I still can't import / export patch data to and from the S8 hardware (v1.30) and the S8 plugout (v1.31). And Roland has provided no means in which to downgrade the plugout to restore proper functionality. Pretty irresponsible on their part, as this literally makes the two unusable with each other.

Anyone else have any luck getting the two to work?
psalm37

Post by psalm37 »

Bump -

Getting the same error. If it is a firmware/software mismatch then it's pretty ridiculous to leave it hanging.
Anyone found a solution yet? I'm trialling the cloud (which isn't going great) and Roland are not responding to my support ticket over this issue.
moozyx

Post by moozyx »

I don't have this issue on MacOS on my Macbook Pro with the same version number of the Roland Cloud S8. Only facing this on my Win 10 machine.

UPDATE: I just installed the Jupiter 8 and JX3P Roland Cloud VST plugins and realised that the patch librarian functions work fine on both of them. So, it appears that it's just the System 8 patch librarian function that's broken.
mockba_the_borg

Post by mockba_the_borg »

Just out of curiosity:

Has anyone gotten in touch with their support?
Did they say anything?
analoguesque

Post by analoguesque »

moozyx wrote:I don't have this issue on MacOS on my Macbook Pro with the same version number of the Roland Cloud S8. Only facing this on my Win 10 machine.

UPDATE: I just installed the Jupiter 8 and JX3P Roland Cloud VST plugins and realised that the patch librarian functions work fine on both of them. So, it appears that it's just the System 8 patch librarian function that's broken.
Do you have to be a cloud member to download the Jupiter 8 VST? Just wondering if I can get it so that I can at least save the Jupiter patches from my System 8. I have the System 8 VST but don't see a way to switch between plugouts, so I assume you need the actual VST.

Thanks
Ian
Stormchild

Post by Stormchild »

analoguesque wrote:Do you have to be a cloud member to download the Jupiter 8 VST? Just wondering if I can get it so that I can at least save the Jupiter patches from my System 8. I have the System 8 VST but don't see a way to switch between plugouts, so I assume you need the actual VST.
You can sign up for the free trial of Roland Cloud and download all the plugout VSTs. After the trial expires, the VSTs will not be usable as instruments (I think they output noise once a minute), but can still be used to manage patches on the System-8.
sonarfreq

Post by sonarfreq »

I am currently trialling the SYSTEM-8 PLUG-OUT via the offer on Roland Cloud at the moment, and although I have set up the hardware and software correctly with each other, I am having the same issue... if I try to GET or SEND any patch data from the software, I simply get the pop-up message "The data file is invalid".

Has anyone found a way around this yet or is it still a problem for everyone? I was going to buy a lifetime key for the PLUG-OUT too, so I'm glad I trialled it beforehand, as there is absolutely no mention in all the product pages or in Roland Cloud pages that suggest that the PLUG-OUT is not compatible any more with that hardware using v1.30 system software.

It really is pretty appalling that Roland are doing that... misleading people I mean... they really need to correct this issue soon.
sonarfreq

Post by sonarfreq »

If this is of any help to anyone, I recently followed this matter up with the UK Support team at Roland, and today received this reply:

" Please note that due to Covid-19 we are working at home without the products and in a reduced capacity, so it’s taking us longer than usual to respond to tech support requests. Thank you for your understanding at this time.

We are aware in the UK that there is communication failing between the System-8 and the System-8 plug-out for sharing patches that affects certain Windows operating systems. The issue doesn't seem to appear on MacOS operating systems, and also it only seems to happen on the System-8 software plug out (not on the Jupiter-8, Juno-106 or JX-3P plug-outs when used with the system-8).

We have reported this issue to the Roland Cloud development team (who are based in the USA), they are aware of the issue and have said they are working on a fix, however they have not provided us with a time scale. I'm very sorry but as we aren't involved in the programming in the UK I can't offer more information than this. I will report this continued problem to the relevant product manager for the System-8 and ask if they can make the request internally to the Cloud development team again.

As we've been in lockdown whilst the new version of Roland Cloud has launched we've not been able to test this again to see if the issue still exists on the new Cloud platform. Are you running the latest downloads of both Cloud Manager and System-8 Plug-Out?

Although not ideal, there is a work around you can use in the meantime; export your patches to an SD card in the System-8, then put this in your computer and import the patches into the librarian. Again, I know this isn't ideal, but could help in the short term."
sonarfreq

Post by sonarfreq »

I responded:

"Thank you very much for your response and the the information regarding a potential workaround. It is much appreciated, I will try it out while this current software trial period is still ongoing, but I I have to be honest, I will remain reluctant to invest in the software financially until I am assured that it is working as it should, and I am sure there are many others who feel that way.

I did actually submit my ticket to the US site originally, but was promptly bounced back to the UK Roland site unfortunately.

Just to clarify, I am indeed using the latest versions of both Roland Cloud (v2.5.4 - PRD-56653A87) and the System-8 Plug-Out (v1.3.3), all freshly downloaded on a very solid and speedy Windows 10 PC.

And I have to say, scanning the System-8 thread on the Roland Clan Forums again regarding this matter, people it seems have been reporting this issue there for well over a year now (the thread began at 08:38, 6 March 2019), so it's disappointing to hear that although the Cloud Development Team are aware of it, nothing has yet been done and still no time scale is being quoted. From an end user perspective, it is seriously discouraging, although I appreciate from your explanation that the UK team seem to have no control over this.

If you would continue to escalate this issue with the relevant product manager for the System-8 and the Cloud development team, I and many others clearly would very much appreciate it, and I look forward to hearing more positive news in the very near future.

My very best regards also, and my thanks for progressing the matter on our behalf."

My hope is that someone on the US Cloud Development Team will be encouraged to look at the matter and remedy it for all of us.
cosinezero

Post by cosinezero »

Came here for this exact issue. Thanks to all pushing this forward. And wtf roland.