System 8 and midi problems.

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
Zyxelania54

System 8 and midi problems.

Post by Zyxelania54 »

I have 2 problems with my System 8.

Problem 1
If I connect it via ordinary midi cables it goes totally avol. I have a Focusrite Saffire pro 40 and atm using
Cubase 5 since I am in production of an album. I got Cubase 10 but it is currently not installed.
Anyways when l connect it up manually or create a plugin on the Midi Device Manager
the first problem starts (have that on Korg Sv-1 and Prophet 6, Korg R3, and it works without any issues).
When pressing a note it hangs the midi signals goes completely avol it sends midi signals erratic and when pressing the second note it starts to distort the sound and hangs up completely. The synth then must be turned off.

So since this don't work and fails utterly I use USB.

Problem 2
Midi works, program change, CC parameters etc is fine, but now I got this static hissing hum like a old radio from the 1930's. It comes with only headphones directly to the synth and USB connected, or only the soundcard running, and of course when soundcard muted and sound only running in Cubase.
If I record anything at all l can hear the static noise is present very low when playing but still there.

I'd rather have problem 1 solved but on problem 2 I have read that a USB isolator will kill this problem.

Is my first problem a manufactory issue, so I have to send the System 8 to Roland?
How should I solve this problem?

Problem 1 is present if I connect it directly and it is the only synth present, same problem when using a Motu Midi Box with 4 midi out/in

Thanks for any input on this problem.
Zyxelania54

Re: System 8 and midi problems.

Post by Zyxelania54 »

Got help from Roland problem 1 is now solved.

"Tx Edit Data" must be set off, now everything is working with Midi cables and connection.

Excellent support from Roland. 10 of 10
Zyxelania54

Post by Zyxelania54 »

Program change etc is also now working with my System 8 plugin I have made in Cubase 5.

Cheers
Zyxelania 54
mminarik

Post by mminarik »

Man, thank you! This was trully a life saver. I had somewhat similar problem with seemingly erratic program changes when connecting SYSTEM-8 to my MIDI Patchbay (iConnectivity mioXL) setup. After I switched "Tx Prog Change" to OFF it went away!

Apparently SYSTEM-8 has some glitch that gets him confused by unexpected receipt of a parameter that itself has transmitted over MIDI.
Zyxelania54 wrote: 12:20, 17 August 2020 Got help from Roland problem 1 is now solved.

"Tx Edit Data" must be set off, now everything is working with Midi cables and connection.

Excellent support from Roland. 10 of 10