Hardware vs. the VST version

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
stevel

Hardware vs. the VST version

Post by stevel »

So, there's a System 8 Plug IN for 150 bucks at Sweetwater.

How does this differ from the hardware? If it does.

I would assume you can't add Plug OUTS to the Plug In, as they would just be separate VSTs...

But I'm also curious about the architecture of the System 8 - how are the waves done...

I have an FA-06 which has the SN-S sounds which are modelled waveforms - it has waves they don't really tell you what they're modelled on, but looking at scoped versions of them and based on sound it's pretty clear some of them are Prophet 5s and Oberheims and so on.

So I'm curious if this is only like Juno/Jupiter type waves, or models of a bunch of other stuff, or it's own thing, and so on.
Dark_Element

Re: Hardware vs. the VST version

Post by Dark_Element »

I figure (but don't know for sure) that it's just the native synth engine of the System 8.

I don't have a System 8 (but I want one) and have read that the synth is really good.

Personally, I think it's a slap in the face that Roland put this version on the Cloud.
Actually, I wish they wouldn't put any of the boutique stuff (or any hardware) on the Cloud. No problem with them doing the 199X or 198X like they were doing (but that didn't really sell did it?)...... then again, I think they'll also put the screws to themselves with the Zen in the Cloud..... why buy a Jupiter X when you can just buy the VST? Really dumb.

I guess they don't like not getting a piece of the 2nd hand used hardware market..... so they're releasing VST's so they can have all that money for themselves.
Of course when Windows changes again, and all the audio API's with it...... the Cloud will go away for something else, and all those people can buy it all again on a different platform. Rinse and repeat. Then hardware will look really good to everyone...... again.

You know what they say.... you get what you pay for.