Program Change MIDI Problems

Forum for Roland's System-8 synthesizer
JazzerBravo

Program Change MIDI Problems

Post by JazzerBravo »

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and I found this resource looking for some help.

I'm also kind of new to the brand, I've used Roland products before but they weren't my own gear.

I've been using the Roland System-8 for some time and I love the synth a lot. I've made some patches for my own gigs and now I'm looking to make a setup using SetList Maker iPad app on an old iPad 3 via USB 3.0 camera kit adapter. My goal is to have all the program changes associated with song setups in order to quick recall exact configurations for play in almost no time.

I've tested the feature with a Yamaha Montage via USB MIDI with absolutely no problem, and also tried to add a connection from Montage's MIDI OUT to System-8 MIDI IN (as System-8 is not MIDI CLASS COMPLIANT). Montage has its own virtual port to adress this kind of scenarios so I choose the appropiate MIDI port (Montage USB MIDI Port 3).

Now, I've setted some test scenarios to see if the feature works. Montage has no problems so far receiving program changes and works flawlessly, while System 8 had some trouble with it: At first I could only change between Performance locations but as soon as I tried to recall a Patch location, it always went to location A-2, no matter what values have been entered. But there's even more, the keyboard itself did'nt make any sound from it's own keybed (I don't want to control externally, just send program changes to recall completo setups across different boards).

Changing patch receiving channel default from 1 to number 2, partially solved the problem (and of course adjusting accordingly in the app) and now I can select patches and performances just by sending the correct instruction, however, sometimes the octave setting gets "misread" or something, because octave setting is different from what I have setted in the location (sometimes it sounds 1 octave higher than it should) and this happens completely random. Sometimes resending the messages sets it correctly but there is absolutely no way to tell if it was correctly recalled in any other way than playing some notes and that totally defeats the usefulness of this tool.

The other thing that happens is with patches that have an Arpeggio setting (on) sometimes it is not activated, you can play some notes but arpeggiator won't start, again, by resending messages sometimes gets fixed but this last one is "the best" if you are playing an arpeggio patch and go for a patch or a performance that shouldn't have it activated, it still would be active! meaning that the arpeggiator from the last patch is now active with your new setup.

I hope that someone could give me some advice if this is something that can be solved, I really love the synth and would like to keep working with it but if this randomness keeps me from integrating to my setup, probably will have to get rid of it.

Thank you so much in advance, keep healthy!!!!!

Jazzer
JazzerBravo

Re: Program Change MIDI Problems

Post by JazzerBravo »

I made some more test and kind of isolated the conditions that produce a problem.

Basically, when I send a program change message in the current setup by channel MIDI 2, it selects a program location from the patch section. If a message comes by MIDI channel 16, it will switch to performance location. Until this point everything goes as expected.

Now, the problem arises when and only when a change of mode is recalled, going from an arpeggio patch to a performance will keep the arpeggio from the last patch active with the timbres of the new performance. Also, moving between modes (patch to performance or viceversa) with no arpeggios involved, will result in a different octave (higher or lower depending on the patch but always in the same direction). Switching between programs in the same mode never gives any of this problems. BTW, I'm running Firmware version 1.3

Tomorrow I'll be testing if this happens using different "senders" as for now I've only used this app. I'll try direct messages from Montage or perhaps a DAW from iPad or computer in order to try to isolate the cause even further.

If anyone has a clue of what could be happening, I'll be grateful to read.

Thanks in advance.
Voxneon

Re: Program Change MIDI Problems

Post by Voxneon »

Hi

I'm glad someone else is finding this. I'm having similar issues when triggering program changes from an external source.
Selecting patch or program changes form the front panel is fine and switching between patches from midi is also fine.
The problem occurs when you switch from a performance back to a patch via a midi command.
The patch changes but it appears to carry over performance settings like Octave Up/Down, Mono/Unison etc.
The lights go out but the previous performance setting seem to linger.
I have had to go through patches and ensure the saved patch has no transpose settings etc if they are being used in a performance patch.
I have to reset the oscillator range to compensate.
I think it must be a bug but no-one seems to be talking about it or addressing it.

For info I am trigger the System 8 changes from a Jupiter 50 and am sometimes playing the parts from the 50 keybed.
I also use a Korg module in my setup.
MIDI Ch 1 - Korg patch changes
MIDI Ch 5 - System 8 performance changes
MIDI Ch 6 - System 8 upper part play
MIDI Ch 7 - System 8 lower part play
MIDI Ch 8 - System 8 patch changes

Would be interested to know if you make any more progress with this