Correct Driver for RD88 & OS 10.15

Stage Pianos
chuckbutler

Correct Driver for RD88 & OS 10.15

Post by chuckbutler »

Hi,

In the process of setting up my new RD88, I attempted to install the USB driver on my 2019 MacBook Pro running OS 10.15.7. I followed the installation instructions found here . . .

https://www.roland.com/global/support/s ... /19091015/

. . . but upon restart the Mac froze on the Apple logo screen when the progress bar reached the end. I tried force-restarting with the same result. I then tried safe-booting with the same result.

The driver I downloaded is the one available on the RD88 downloads page here . . .

https://www.roland.com/global/support/b ... 599c0f02d/

. . . under RD-88 DRIVER VER1.0.0 FOR MACOS10.14 / MACOS10.15

But I notice that on the Catalina installation instructions page (the first link mentioned above), under "Installing the Driver," it mentions in Step 2 clicking the ******_USBDriver1014(.pkg) or ******_USBDriver1015(.pkg) just downloaded. Yet as far as I can tell there is *no* USBDriver1015 posted for RD88. The driver I downloaded from the RD88 page under Catalina is USBDriver1015.pkg. The only 10.15-specific driver seems to be posted for RD-2000 only.

Can anyone clear this up for me or provide any insights re my problem? I had to reinstall everything from a Time Machine backup to get my laptop working again (6 hours later), so I'd like to avoid bricking it a second time.
chuckbutler

Re: Correct Driver for RD88 & OS 10.15

Post by chuckbutler »

I'll answer my own question, in case it helps someone else.

USBDriver1014 is in fact the correct driver for RD88 and Catalina (OS 10.15) at the present time. It may be that the Catalina installation instructions page mentions a 1015 driver because these instructions also apply to RD2000. If so, Roland would avoid confusion by created a dedicated installation guide for each instrument.

The difficulty I had (which prompted my question) was that after installing the 1014 driver on my Mac running OS 10.15, the Mac would not boot on restart. I eventually discovered that this was due to a couple of older drivers residing in Library > Extensions (including one for Fantom X). These drivers were migrated from my previous laptop. Removing them allowed the installation of the 1014 driver to proceed as described in the instructions, and I am now able to connect my RD88 with MainStage.

I am somewhat disappointed (though hardly surprised) that no one from Roland seems to be monitoring these threads and providing information.