Give your help getting sympathetic string resonance on RD88!

Stage Pianos
FpxRD88

Give your help getting sympathetic string resonance on RD88!

Post by FpxRD88 »

After selling my FP10 and buying the RD88 I noticed the Supernatural Piano lacks the sympathetic string resonance (e.g. when you press and hold the C-key without hitting the strings and you press the G-key you can hear the C-key resonating). I've asked Roland if it was me who didn't know how to activate it on the RD88. After some months they've contacted Japan and Roland Japan said the Roland RD88 has no sympathetic string resonance contrair to the FP10. They are willing to reconsider the possibility of including it in the RD88 by a firmware update, but I think it will help when more people will contact Roland with the question to include it via a firmware update. If they update it our RD88 will be even better. I hope you are willing to do that and respond to this thread by "I did contact Roland". Thanks for your help.
Nor

Re: Give your help getting sympathetic string resonance on RD88!

Post by Nor »

Hi,

This is my 1st post here, just got my RD88 3 days ago and noticed the same thing, I had an fp10 too then sold it to get the RD88, but got surprised how it lacks or the symphatic resonance. I will contact them online and report the same issue.
FpxRD88

Post by FpxRD88 »

Thanks I appreciate it and hope Roland will fix this.
Nor

Post by Nor »

I think I found it! Look at Page 9, [ENGLISH] RD-88 PARAMETER GUIDE https://static.roland.com/assets/media/ ... ng03_W.pdf

Even though this seems to be only related to the Pedal Damper resonance, it can change the body sound of the piano even if the pedal is off-pressed.
FpxRD88

Post by FpxRD88 »

I'm sorry but this is damper resonance. Roland Europe made a video to explain which sympathetic resonance I was referring to. This is the reaction of Roland Japan.
"There are three kinds of resonances with our pianos:
· String Resonance: This is what we are clearly seeing in the vid and also perhaps what the customer is talking about. It is on the FP- 10 but not on the RD-88.
· Sympathetic Resonance: This is present on both FP-10 and RD-88.
· Key-off Resonance: This is present on both FP-10 and RD-88.
Hence,
· The difference the customer is seeing on FP-Series including FP-10 versus RD-88 is derived purely from the specification.
· Concerning the possibility on implementing String Resonance to RD-88, although nothing can be promised we will consider for future R&D"

I think the last sentence give some hope they will correct it but then some more people will have to complain about the lack of string resonance since as far as I know the RD-88 is the only instrument of Roland with Supernatural piano lacking string resonance. So I find it dissappointing and misleading Roland sells the RD-88 stating it has Supernatural Piano but does not mention it's the only one lacking features other instruments has.
anotherscott2022

Post by anotherscott2022 »

FpxRD88 wrote: 09:35, 26 February 2023 as far as I know the RD-88 is the only instrument of Roland with Supernatural piano lacking string resonance. So I find it dissappointing and misleading Roland sells the RD-88 stating it has Supernatural Piano but does not mention it's the only one lacking features other instruments has.
The same issue exists in the Fantom-0.
FpxRD88

Post by FpxRD88 »

I didn't know it also existed in the Fantom. Thank you for the information.