Tone Remain

Stage Pianos
roland65

Tone Remain

Post by roland65 »

Hello all,

Thanks in advance if you can help me with this!

If I select a string/pad sound, play it, hold down the sustain pedal and switch to a piano, the stringpad sustains (tone remain). Works just fine but that's not usually how I play.

Does anyone know how to make tone remain work if I am playing a piano and string together (layer) and I want to go to just a piano sound but have the strings hold on until I let up on the sustain pedal? In my playing there are many times when I want to go from a piano + pad to simply a piano...but I need to the pad to hang on until I lift the pedal.

I would be very appreciative for any help on this. I couldn't make it work on my 700 GX and now I can't get it to work on the 2000. I am beginning to think that what Roland means by "tone remain" may just be switching from one single sound to the next.
DesertBoat

Re: Tone Remain

Post by DesertBoat »

Took me a while, but figured out how to make it work.

Tone remain is straight forward if you are just selecting tones, but sometimes fails in programs (and presumably scenes). And in some of my programs was working - for example, holding the trumpets while switching to Great Organ.

Here is the secret -- tone remain works if and only if the zone remains active in the new program / scene. If not, the tones are dropped.

So if you have:
Program 1
Zone 1: Piano
Zone 2: Pad

Program 2

Pads in zone 2 are dropped as soon as you change to Program 2.

Instead, do it like this:
Program 1
Zone 2: Pad

Program 2
Zone 1: Nada.zilch
Zone 2: Piano

The pads will hang on as long as you hold the sustain.

In this case, what appears to be a bug can become a feature -- you can chose to have some tones remain, others drop, as you shift programs / scenes.
roland65

Post by roland65 »

Thanks DesertBoat! I will give this a try as soon as I get home and report back.
DesertBoat

Post by DesertBoat »

p.s., there are some problems with this setup
— You cannot use the V-piano sounds since they have to be in Zone 1.
— When you shift programs, the piano sounds drop, since they no longer have an active zone. But the Pad sound sustain usually will hide this early drop.

I am working on an alternate solution that lets you keep Zone 1 for the V-Piano and will post when available.
roland65

Post by roland65 »

Yes! It works! Just went home for lunch and tried it! Many, many thanks!

Yes, I noticed that about the pianos and having to use a SN instead of a V piano. I read that about the V Pianos only working in zone one.

Hey, when you figure out more, PLEASE come back and post it here!

Great, great help! Many thanks again.
DesertBoat

Post by DesertBoat »

Here is an alternate solution that has fewer downsides than the first, works with the V-pianos, sustains piano and pads over the program shift, just one minor downside.

Program 1
Zone 4: Pad
No split specified

Program 2
Zone 4: Pad
Split Zone 4 so it is only A0-B0 (two notes)

Now when you shift program 1-2, both the piano and pad will sustain, but new notes will only be piano — just have to stay away from the bottom two keys. What we are doing is keeping the Pad zone active, just pushing it down to the bottom of the piano, out of normal playing range.
roland65

Post by roland65 »

Great idea. Thanks again DesertBoat!
kempus

Post by kempus »

I know this is an old thread, but does it actually work with the V-Pianos? They cut off on mine.

If only you could specify that a zone did nothing and just kept the previous settings.
SledDriver

Post by SledDriver »

V-pianos do not have tone remain. All the other stuff does.
0kk0p3kk4

Post by 0kk0p3kk4 »

In scene mode, is there seamless sound change when changing to/from Supernatural organs (excluding vPiano) ?
DesertBoat

Post by DesertBoat »

That is what this thread tells you how to do. Read it again. Also in the QRG.