New Owner - Question re: Hierarchy/OS

Stage Pianos
tcastlejr

New Owner - Question re: Hierarchy/OS

Post by tcastlejr »

Hey there.
I just took shipment of my RD-2000 yesterday.

Ok.. I'm trying to get to terms with the OS and hierarchy.
Lets say I tweak the eq settings on the S01 Stage Grand. I want to save it. Am I understanding correctly that the ONLY place to save that new 'tone' is a program (of which the board has 300)? Am I understanding correctly? And I can have up to 8 'tones' per program to use as individual tones or layers? But if I want to use the individual, edited 'tone' in multiple different programs, it would need to be in a program by itself?
Do I have my head around this?
Thanks,
Tom
xp50player

Re: New Owner - Question re: Hierarchy/OS

Post by xp50player »

Tones are non-writeable. Edited tones can only be saved within Programs/Scenes. There appears to be no function to copy edited tones from or to another existing program.
DesertBoat

Post by DesertBoat »

Tones

These are the basic sound building blocks. As a stage piano, not a workstation or synthesizer, the user has little control over the tones. You have some control over basic adjustments, such as tone “color”, effects, and the settings under “Tone Designer,” and only in the context of a program or a scene. However, any edits to the setting cannot be stored back into a tone.

When you press the “One Touch Piano” button you are recalling a fixed program that has the selected tone enabled in zone 1, with the other internal zones off. This program also has zone 5 enabled at full volume for external on MIDI channel 1, and the ninth slider at full volume for external audio.

The same thing happens if you have zone 1 selected and press one of the 10 Tone buttons, or from either of these points scroll through tones to select a tone — you recall a default program.

Demo: Press one touch piano button. Press the enter button — you will see the program settings that were recalled with the one touch piano, greyed out since they are inactive.

If you select zone 2 - 8, then press one of the tone buttons, the behavior is different — the selected tone, with factory settings, is recalled to that zone in the current program.

Programs

The program is where most of the work in the RD-2000 happens. As discussed above, even when you recall a Tone, you are actually in a program. The program provides setting for up to eight zones. When you have a setup you like, it is saved in a program.

User edits are usually saved in programs, by pressing the “Write” button, then following prompts to select a program location, select a name, then do the write. When you write to a new program, you automatically switch to that location.

If the next program you want is not immediately adjacent to the current one, it takes several button presses, potentially with two hands, to recall a program.

Scenes

Scenes are very similar to programs, with a few notable differences.

1. Scenes are easier to recall as they are assigned directly to a button.
2. Scenes can have 32 character memos, which provides more information than a program name
3. Instead of using the “write” button, you record Scenes by holding down the Scene button and choosing the desired Tone button for that scene. You can use the bank up/down buttons to choose the desired Scene bank.
4. When you record a Scene to a different location, the RD-2000 does NOT shift to the new location, it stays in the previously selected Scene.
5. Programs go from 01-20 per bank, Scenes start at 00 and go through 09 in the first bank, 10-19 in the second, etc.

You can copy Scenes to Programs, using Scene Utility, and record a program to a Scene using the Scene register button.

The post on Three Fixes to RD-2000 Operating System talks about the lack of a utility to copy an individual tone from one zone to another.
tcastlejr

Post by tcastlejr »

@DesertBoat

Thank you very much for your time. Very helpful.

Tom
skinmechanic

Post by skinmechanic »

I understand Roland designing this as a Stage Piano however i would have expected more control over editing the synth sounds. A bit like you can do on the VR keyboards.