A few tones are very quiet. How to increase their volume?

Stage Pianos
SteveH

A few tones are very quiet. How to increase their volume?

Post by SteveH »

Some of the tones in my new Roland 2000 are very muted through my speaker but are fine through the earphones.

For example, all of the RD 1000 tones are very soft through the speaker, but I can’t figure out how to increase their volume.

I have a single small KRK speaker, connected with a 2 into 1 cable to the keyboard. It works with most of the keyboard tones.
rnk.khch

Re: A few tones are very quiet. How to increase their volum

Post by rnk.khch »

How about increasing the "gain" from the EQ settings area?
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Thanks. Your suggestion does help. I'm new to electronic keyboards.

It turned out that a significant fraction of the tones were muted, not just the group noted in my first post.

I got the biggest improvement from unplugging the right out lead of the 2 into 1 cable from the keyboard. All the tones are now at a similar volume when I turn on the keyboard.

My next project will be finding a way to make the speakers sound as good as the earphones.
rnk.khch

Post by rnk.khch »

Yes, the speakers and how you connect them make a world of difference. I went through a similar experience for weeks trying to optimize the sound. You can take a look at my post here: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=54467

But basically if you have only one speaker, use the left out (mono) only, and if you have the balanced input on your speaker, definitely use that one. Best scenario is to have a pair of (excellent) speakers for stereo connection through balanced shielded cables, and the cables should be as short as possible.
SledDriver

Post by SledDriver »

This sounds like you are getting stereo to mono phase cancellation.

If you are using only one playback speaker, you are probably best to only use one output (mono) from the keyboard to avoid such problems.

This way you should not experience the volume problems.
jalbert

Post by jalbert »

You may damage your equipment routing both outputs to one powered speaker with a Y adapter. This adapter is intended for plugging two sets of headphones into 1 headphone output.

As suggested above, one of the keyboard outputs should function as mono. You may see the outputs labeled something like L/mono R for left and right, and which to use for mono.