Harpsichord / cembalo for RD 2000

Stage Pianos
bremer

Harpsichord / cembalo for RD 2000

Post by bremer »

Are there somewhere some to load?
How many piano sounds contains the RD 2000? Many, but just one harpsichord.
And the default one is not the one I will like.
horst
jalbert

Re: Harpsichord / cembalo for RD 2000

Post by jalbert »

Harpsichord sounds were even completely left out of the Jupiter-50. Only rationale I can come up with is that Roland sells a dedicated digital harpsichord with modeled harpsichord action and they don't want to offer their best harpsichord sounds in cheaper instruments that would compete with the digital harpsichord.
jalbert

Post by jalbert »

bremer

Post by bremer »

Maybe for my died mothers living room, but no alternative for my studio :-) .
jalbert

Post by jalbert »

I use an Alesis QSR midi module to get a harpsichord sound as none were included in the 2000+ sounds of a Jupiter-50. An Alesis NanoPiano would accomplish the same thing although the QSR includes effects, and adding a little reverb improves the sound. You may try that with the harpsichord in your RD-2000. I doubt the old Alesis patch from the mid-1990’s is intrinsically superior, although I’ve nonetheless been impressed overall by how well the old Alesis QS sound engine has held up over time.
jalbert

Post by jalbert »

This even more impressive digital harpsichord, is probably not to your liking either. These are expensive instruments— $5900 for the Roland C-30, no price published for the Martin DH, but I bet it is over $10,000. Roland has an incentive not to include their best harpsichords in cheaper keyboards.
bremer

Post by bremer »

jalbert wrote:This ... is probably not to your liking either.
:-), no, you are true. I don't need that kind of housing and not two keyboards.
I think I will look for a VSTi and will try to get a reasonable latency with my interface.
horst
jalbert

Post by jalbert »

jalbert wrote:Harpsichord sounds were even completely left out of the Jupiter-50. Only rationale I can come up with is that Roland sells a dedicated digital harpsichord with modeled harpsichord action and they don't want to offer their best harpsichord sounds in cheaper instruments that would compete with the digital harpsichord.
My comment was not quite true. The Jupiter-50 has no live set for harpsichord, but does have a tone 1818 buried in the user interface and manual for a harpsichord sound. Still it is not a fabulous harpsichord sound— perhaps similar to the one in an RD-2000.
jalbert

Post by jalbert »

I looked at the list of sounds for an RD-2000 on the Roland US site. Are tones 197, 198, 199, 200 not acceptable? I would expect these to be good enough that the limiting factor is having to use a graded hammer keyboard that may/will defeat some harpsichord techniques.