Is it possible to use rd 2000 with its sounds into a DAW?

Stage Pianos
Anders Hauge

Is it possible to use rd 2000 with its sounds into a DAW?

Post by Anders Hauge »

Dear everyone,

I just got myself a Roland RD-2000 and I`m super mega happy with it so I would love to use it with mixcraft (7 pro) as well.
Is it possible to connect it somehow so I can record with the sounds from the RD-2000? The sounds on this device are just sublime so I will do anything to make it work with Mixcraft.
Anyone?

All The Best,
Anders Hauge
EVC

Re: Is it possible to use rd 2000 with its sounds into a DAW

Post by EVC »

As nobody has answered as yet...

Is the DAW capable or processing audio data from an external USB audio interface? If so, than the answer is most probably yes also for the RD2000 as it works as an audio interface for the PC (both ways, i.e. in/out I suppose). There are drivers you must install (https://www.roland.com/us/support/by_pr ... s_drivers/).

I hope this helps.
Anders Hauge

Post by Anders Hauge »

Thank you for your reply.
Yes I have an yamaha steinberg ur22 sound card and I'm using Mixcraft 7 as a DAW.
Now I have the RD-2000 connected with stereo audio with Jacks into the sound card and USB to the computer with USB for midi.
What I'm aiming for is to be able to record the midi tracks with sounds from rd 2000 so I can edit and copy and past and all that and have the sounds stored onto the midi track.
At the moment I'm recording both midi track and audio, but can't see the point of that since What ever midi editing I'm doing, it won't affect the audio track.
johnboss645

Post by johnboss645 »

Can anybody please confirm, whether it is possible to record audio from Rd-2000 into a DAW using the in-built audio interface?
EVC

Post by EVC »

May I suggest you post this question on http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthread ... ard_Corner ?

People there is definetely knowledgeable and there must be somebody that will be able to answer this question.

FWIW I do not think what you want to do is possible, i.e. mixing MIDI and audio on MIDI tracks as MIDI stores commands and timing, not audio. But again, I may be misunderstanding your intentions and people at that forum may understand it better and provide you a definitive answer.

Good luck.
Corrençois

Post by Corrençois »

Hi,
Yes you absolutely can use your RD2000 as a USB sound card straight into your DAW. The RD transmits and receives both MIDI and audio via USB. As previously mentioned you need to install a driver on your computer and switch the USB setting in the settings tab of the RD to "vendor". You'll probably not be able to use it with your Steinberg soundcard simultaneously, unless your DAW supports multiple sound cards. Remember you'll need to change the audio settings on your DAW as well and to connect your speakers (or headphones) to the outputs of the RD.
Personally, I use it to convert my midi tracks to audio once they've been edited (I use DP8 as my DAW and it is very easy to switch from one sound card to another) I run the audio straight back out from the DAW to the RD. Works great.