fantom S to control RD2000??

Stage Pianos
paulmapp8306

fantom S to control RD2000??

Post by paulmapp8306 »

Hi,

Im about to get an RD2000, as at 50 I want to lard piano correctly. Ive muddles through my years of mainly guitar playing, using synths/workstations for fairly basic keys. I did learn Twin manual organ in my teens.

Anyway - I want to use the Fantom S I still have as a controller board - specifically for organ sounds (as the synth action is better for that - certainty for me until I get used to a weighted board), but want the RD sounds as I want access to the harmonic bars.

I believe I "could" assign the organ sounds to one part, and set the fantom to send Midi data on that channel only - but that wouldnt disable the sounds from being triggered from he RDs own key bed. thats no good as Id want piano/pads on that.

So - how do I set this up so I can trigger the organ (for instance) sounds in the RD from an external board (my Fantom) over midi - while at the same time preventing those sounds being triggered from the RDs own keys.

Much appreciated.
daddevlin

Re: fantom S to control RD2000??

Post by daddevlin »

Hi Paul

You should be able to put the TW organ on Zone 1 - that will trigger from the Midi In from your Fantom S. You can control your TW organ and still have the harmonic bars and the rotary switch work (when the Tone Designer is on) even if you have Zone 1 itself turned off! That way, it wont trigger any organ sound from the RD keyboard. Set your volume where you want, and then turn off the Zone with the INT/EXT button. If you leave the TW Tone editor on, the harmonic bars will still work even though the Zone is off. I had set fc-1 function to control the rotary speed, (hold shift button and hit footswitch) and it also worked even with the Zone off.

I hope that helps.
paulmapp8306

Post by paulmapp8306 »

Yeh it did (sorry for the late reply - couldnt log into the forum). There are some compromised - ie the mod wheel doesnt work if the zone is turned off (so I cant apply the colour), and neither do the control, assign or delay/reverb effects. However the draw bars and Leslie control does - so its adequate if not perfect.
DesertBoat

Post by DesertBoat »

Working on the cymbal problem made me think of this solution. Unfortunately, away from keyboard for the week, so cannot verify this will work. But in theory, it should.

For this setup, lets assume you are using the Fantom S to drive zone 4 on the RD-2000 (i.e., channel 4 on midi).

On the RD-2000, set Key Range for zone 4 to one single key, say A0 or C7.
(zone 4 range low: A0, high A0). Needs to be a key not used with your pianos or pads. Ensure zone for is active for internal (red light above zone slider).

The RD-2000 should respond to full range of keys and commands from the Fantom S on zone 4. When you ”Select” zone 4 on the RD-2000, since it is active internal for the single key, the controls should be active, including mod wheel, etc., depending on Select, Zone Effects, and Assign button selections.
paulmapp8306

Post by paulmapp8306 »

Outside the box thinking that - but it does work. Thanks - its only a little niggle but just makes things complete.