sometimes hear a very pronounced note?

Stage Pianos
rnk.khch

Re: sometimes hear a very pronounced note?

Post by rnk.khch »

Hello everybody,

I told someone that I met in a performance about this issue potentially being caused by the v1.50 firmware and asked him to downgrade to v1.03 and test. Today he told me that the issue was immediately resolved for him. I have also downgraded to v1.03 to prevent any potential damage to the keyboard. I have already reported this to Roland as a potential bug in firmware v1.50. There might still be hardware defects in the units that experience this issue, but it appears that the issue can be avoided by some simple software tweak.

Perhaps those of you who are still experiencing this issue can also downgrade to firmware v1.03 and see if it helps? If it does, please extend the word to Roland so they can do something about it.

Technically I don't need the v1.50 as I always use the Stage Grand sound anyways, and I doubt I would need the other features of v1.50 anytime soon, but still it would be nice to have the best package in the best keyboard on the planet.

RELATED QUESTION:
On the Roland download page for RD-2000, two instances of the firmware v1.50 are listed that appear to be identical:

http://my.roland.com/support/by_product ... s_drivers/

Is this accidental duplicate or is there a reason for this? I noticed that the webpage addresses for the two updates contain two different numbers (500680 and 501214):

http://my.roland.com/support/by_product ... ers/500680
http://my.roland.com/support/by_product ... ers/501214

I can't remember which one I downloaded and installed back in the day. I don't recall to have seen two links at that time.
Anthony_Carone

Post by Anthony_Carone »

Hey everyone,
Not sure if y’all are looking for a fix still, but I had this problem and it was infuriating.
I did find a fix that worked for me just now though:

Hit “menu”
“Program edit”
“Key touch”
At the top, it should be default set to “medium”… scroll right to “heavy”.

That fixed it for me, and hopefully for you, too!
david@creatio.works

Post by david@creatio.works »

As of Feb 2023, I still have this problem even after I have updated the firmware to 2.0
It's so frustrating.

However I have started using MainStage with my RD 2000, and I have not had any issues when my keyboard is hooked up to MainStage.
This allows me to play for church and not worry if there is going to be a random note that plays super loud.

I am going to try the suggestion to change the velocity from medium to heavy. I'll report back on whether this fixes the issue
bemr

Post by bemr »

Has the cause of this problem been solved, yet? I have an RD-2000 on my bench for this issue, which led me to this forum. I am able to duplicate the full volume hit (127) by doing a glissando downward, but not upward.

Since I was able to duplicate to problem at will, I am not unsuspecting the software version. Also, people are saying it happens with different versions (1.03, 1.50, 2.0) after they changed it. I've also read that changing the key touch parameters may fix the issue. I'll try that, but my customer will need to decide if that's a fix he can live with while playing gigs.

I was suspecting the rubber key contact strips, so I cleaned the entire set and the PCBs. Same issue, so I moved the offending strip to a different location and still, the same three notes played loud.

Since I'm a hardware technician, not a player, my MIDI skills are lacking. Has anyone tried to isolate the keybed from the sound engine by using MIDI to use the keybed to control another unit, or use another unit's keybed to control to the RD-2000 sounds? I seams like the loud note comes after the initial strike, has anyone seem MIDI commands that confirm this?

Today I am planning to switch some keys and hammers around for troubleshooting. My suspicion is the Printed Circuit Board under the keys and hammers, but I want to check the keys first. It would make sense that it was the PCB, since only a few units have the problem (maybe a box or lot of circuit boards got damaged).

Any more information would be helpful.

Thanks
bemr

Post by bemr »

I moved the offending keys (B, C, G) to another area on the keybed and now I cannot duplicate the 127 velocity notes. Neither the original area, nor the the new area I did test for the notes before moving and they were still consistently loud. The hammers have a trick to removing that I didn't want to explore. For now, keyboard is working okay and since the customer needed it right away, he is taking it and will report back later.

Good Luck with yours.