2 Basic RD-88 questions

Stage Pianos
admagination

2 Basic RD-88 questions

Post by admagination »

This may sound really basic, but I'm asking a couple of questions because I just got bit by getting a Casio PX-S3000, took two months to fall in love with it and it fell flat in two areas.

Q1: Does the RD88 accept patch changes from a DAW. What I'm use to is to add a MIDI track to a project, go into record mode and call up the patch from the board. It records it. Then when I play back the project...boom, there's the patch. That simple! I really need it for stage because I've got WAY too many things to do during a show to dink around with selecting a patch, especially from some type of weird work around. Any patch including any user patches I need to be able to send a patch change from my DAW

Q2: Does any of the classic tone bar / B3 / Jazz organs have a Leslie sim built in that is controllable from any of the knobs or sliders from the front of the keyboard? This is a stupid question, but the Casio didn't. I had to go in and build a DSP patch, add it to the Jazz Organ Patch and save it to a "Registration" and calling that back up required more than a couple of button pushes. Again, because it wouldn't recall patches via MIDI...it double sucked

Every keyboard over the last 35 years has had these simple functions. I'm not sure why it got designed out especially on a "stage piano / keyboard" model.

Thanks. LMK. I'm ready to upgrade to the Roland
Tom
DesertBoat

Re: 2 Basic RD-88 questions

Post by DesertBoat »

Yes, it accepts bank and program changes.

There are no assignable buttons on the 88. I believe you can assign the rotary speed and brake to panel knobs, but the assignment might have to be done in Zenology, then imported to the RD 88. I do not know if someone has tried this yet.
admagination

Post by admagination »

Thanks for the reply. The rotary slow / fast has already been assigned to the mod wheel. It has a nice ramp up speed and mix. But the program changes is still stumping me

I'm using Sonar and have the RD88 running into the computer via USB. Sonar recognizes it in the preferences. I have a MIDI track armed and assigned both in and out to the RD88 (I'm assuming the RD88midi in my device list would be if I'm using the MIDI port as opposed to the USB) It records a program change but the RD88 doesn't change patches on the playback. Typically MIDI protocol was a setting that had Program change RX and TX settings. You could turn them off or on and also assign them a channel. The keyboard is NOT changing programs as I recorded them in.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tom
DesertBoat

Post by DesertBoat »

In ZONE-Edit - Internal, are the midi receive channel settings for each zone. This will be the channel to send tone change requests for that zone.

In SYSTEM - General is the control channel setting. This will be the channel to send scene change requests.

In SYSTEM - Midi RX are the settings to determine is bank and program change is received.

In the Midi Implementation Guide is a summary of the bank and program changes for scene (control channel) and tones (zone receive channel).
RD88tomPianoman

Post by RD88tomPianoman »

Extending the conversation - Playing a gig and switching favorites/sounds

When playing a gig and you are holding a chord, can you select a new favorite or sound and the old one holds until some new key is played?

I noticed on other instruments that this transition to a new voice is not smooth. Is it un-noticeable on the RD-88?

Tom
DesertBoat

Post by DesertBoat »

I believe all the RD-88 sounds are ZEN-Core, which do have seamless switching.

But, the problem can also be with effects. If you do have transients, look at the part and scene Fx. You may need to adjust so the scene Fx are the same

One way to minimize is use to global scene effects, so they are not affected by the program change.