Controlling RD2000 with a Keystep

Stage Pianos
Hudspace

Controlling RD2000 with a Keystep

Post by Hudspace »

Love my RD2000 but when I’m playing with my synths it’s more convenient for me to access its piano sounds using the Keystep midi controller. So, I have a Novation Circuit that is set to Midi channels 1 and 2. My understanding is that the RD can be set to receive on any channel but I don’t know how to set it to receive a particular channel. So here’s the issue: when I have the Keystep set to channel one, I ONLY want to hear the Novation Circuit, yet no matter what I do I always am hearing the RD as well. This isn’t an issue when the Keystep is set to any other channel. If I could just set the Circuit to another channel I would, but unfortunately its synth 1 is fixed to channel 1.

So, how do I set up the RD to receive only on some other channel? Any channel other than channel 1? I’ve looked at the owner’s manual, the midi parameter guide, and Ed Diaz’s videos, but they only seem to address how to set channels for transmitting from the RD, not receiving. I’m sure I’m missing something, or perhaps I just don’t understand how the RD zone system works. Would appreciate it if anyone can help.
DesertBoat

Re: Controlling RD2000 with a Keystep

Post by DesertBoat »

Each zone on the RD is fixed to the respective midi channel. Zone 1 = 1, etc. You can turn off midi reception on a particular zone with the part switch in system settings.

In your case, you would want to turn the part switches off for zones 1 and 2 to avoid having the RD echo the Novation notes.
Hudspace

Post by Hudspace »

Thank you for the reply. I had actually already tried that. I had all of the zones switched off except for 8. So I should only hear the RD when the Keystep is set to channel 8, correct? But nope, still having the issue with channel 1. If I want to hear my Circuit on channel 1, I have to turn down the volume on the Rd.
DesertBoat

Post by DesertBoat »

You are getting unexpected midi data from somewhere. Turn off each zone Part Switch, one by one, one through 16, until the piano sound stops. That will tell you the problem channel. Now find what in your setup is sending the unexpected data.

The Part Switches are not the switches above the slider, but are located in the System menu. And once you have it the way you want, ensure you Write System settings.
Hudspace

Post by Hudspace »

Even with all 16 channels turned off on the Roland, I’m still hearing the piano on the Keystep. A little baffled. It’s tempting to just disconnect the RD from the midi setup and try to get my piano sounds from somewhere else. Hate to do that. Seems like this shouldn’t be that difficult though
DesertBoat

Post by DesertBoat »

With all 16 zone part switches turned off, there is no logical way for external midi to trigger RD 2000 sounds. I don't know what to say, except to double check that all are off.

This picture shows them on, but you want them all off, until you find the offending midi channel.

Hudspace

Post by Hudspace »

I understand. Like I said, I turned them all off and the piano tone is still sounding. There’s something else going on.
IMH1999

Post by IMH1999 »

I'm an old guy just getting back into MIDI... I wrote MIDI drivers for PC-DOS way back when so if that means anything to you, then you'll know how old I am.

I just purchased the RD-2000 and experienced a very similar problem when I was trying to record 4 layers into Logic on different MIDI channels simultaneously. I went down the same road with turning off the SW Parts in the SYSTEM menu but still had this piano sound coming from the RD-2000 even if I had every zone turned off. It turned out in my case, in the PROGRAM External Edit section, Zone 5 and Zone 1 were both assigned to MIDI channel 1. Once I assigned each zone to a separate MIDI channel and I set the RD-2000 to REC mode (in the LOCAL control section in the SYSTEM menu), then I got rid of the unwanted piano sound (on channel 1) like you are getting.

So my application was very different, but maybe this will help.