RD2000: No sound output when sequenced from midi (DAW)

Stage Pianos
calbug

RD2000: No sound output when sequenced from midi (DAW)

Post by calbug »

Hey everyone,
My issue is related to the playback of midi through the RD.
I have the RD hooked up to a Mac via an audio interface with midi in/out cables connected, and the main audio out connected to 2 x inputs. Using zone 1 with midi out set to ALL and TX set to channel 1
In my DAW (Logic Pro), I have the external instrument plugin on a track with channel 1 set and the related audio inputs into which the RD is plugged in (1+2 in this case)

I can record midi from the RD no problem, and I can hear the tone as I'm recording it, but when it comes to playing the midi track back, I get no sound at all (the interface is not showing incoming audio from the RD)

I've used the Midi Monitor application on playback and I can see midi notes off/on getting transmitted to the audio interface, but that's as far as I get.

I've tried local set to off and on, tried rebooting the RD, but no joy. I've previously been able to get this done via direct USB connection, but this is no longer viable due to my setup.

Any ideas as I'm sure I must be missing something!
Thanks!
Cal
Stuart100

Re: RD2000: No sound output when sequenced from midi (DAW)

Post by Stuart100 »

Hi,

To confirm. The midi out of your audio interface connects to the midi in of the RD2000?

Have you tried another midi cable for the midi in to the RD in cases its faulty?

What colour is the int/ext button for Zone 1 when you send midi note data to the RD? Im not sure it makes a difference for midi in but worth a try?

Have you another midi instrument you can connect to make sure midi note data channel 1 is coming out of the audio interface?

Local control set to off ...but from memory I think Logic detects midi loops and stops transmitting midi out if it detects one?

Just a few ideas.

Cheers

Stuart
calbug

Post by calbug »

Thanks Stuart, appreciate the reply
Yeah AI Midi out to RD Midi in (and vice versa)

The cables work on other synths, and if I swap them over, I get the same behaviour (can record Midi to Daw, but not play it back)
I've also tried another audio interface so, although my other kit is not set to channel 1, I know the interfaces work. Although now you've mentioned it, I may try setting another instrument to CH1 just so I can eliminate absolutely everything

I have Zone 1 set to Internal (Red) as I want to use the RD's tones. Also tried controlling a vat in Logic from another zone set to external, and that works fine (kind of know this because I can lay midi down, but I'm trying everything

Only thing that really stands out from your reply is local control. I set it to off, but I need to check in case I have to do anything else like a write or reboot to properly enable that. Can't find anything in the manual on the process to enable it, so I'll take a look

Thanks again
Cal
Stuart100

Post by Stuart100 »

Hi,

See page 32 of the RD parameter guide for turning local control off.

P18 of the user manual also.

Cheers

Stuart
SteelyDan

Post by SteelyDan »

If I understood your I don't think the local control switch will be of any use. The local control is the decision whether the rd-2000 keyboard will be connected to the internal sound generator, makes sense if you have a midi loop through your computer and therefore have a double triggering of the sounds.
I think the RD isn't too optimized for Midi playback. So my understanding of the RD design:
- external zone: only for master keyboard purposes, does only effect midi out
- internal zone: controlling the internal sound generator. I think I read somewhere that the internal zones 1-8 listen hard coded to midi ch. 1-8

1. I'd connect the rd-2000 directly to the Mac thus separating audio and midi, every unneeded hop can make problems - but maybe there's a reason for you to do so...With the rd-2000 MIDI through switch you could route the midi data to the audio interface if need.
2. In general Midi channel 1 is always dangerous as it's the default channel for all devices - maybe that's the audio interface control channel and it doesn't route that to it's MIDI out? So try a different channel (and zone!)
Stuart100

Post by Stuart100 »

Hi,

I am able to play the rd from midi data coming out of Logic or Bitwig through my audio/midi interface to the Rd midi in, this is using normal midi cables. Set to zone 1. I can play back other channels too. Note Zone one is midi channel 1 by default but you can change it. So its possible. Also works with usb midi/audio. I guess you are using a Mac as you use Logic? If so have you set up the midi interface in the midi setup form on the mac? Audio/midi setup in OSX utilities?

Local control disconnects the rd keyboard from the sound engine. Normally local control is off with a DAW. If you get a midi loop instruments will often not sound at all.

On the RD there is also a setting which optimises it for recording with a DAW. Recording mode page 18 of the owners manual. I use this setting.

The RD is a really good midi instrument, and handles midi data well. The trouble is the manuals are not always clear. They ought to be written by an owner!

Cheers

Stuart
calbug

Post by calbug »

Thanks for the replies

The interface is set up in Audio Midi Setup (Mac OS)
I've tried local control off/on
Nice suggestion with the Record Mode. Tried that off and on
New cables (even through the ones I was using work fine with other synths)
Recorded a new track/region using Zone 2 on the RD (and by default Midi channel 2)

Nada...

So I moved some stuff around and hooked up via USB as suggested. Works perfectly first time, every time!

All cool, but it won't work for me long term just given the location of gear etc etc. Plus the fact that it kinda should work...so a support case with Roland it is!

I'll let you know if that turns anything up
Stuart100

Post by Stuart100 »

Hi,

I would suggest you report the 'midi in' problem to Roland if its under warranty. It could be a faulty port? Does midi in work if you connect another midi instrument out to rd midi in?

Cheers

Stu
calbug

Post by calbug »

Thanks Stu,
I've raised a case with Roland. You could work for them to be fair...nothing new in terms of what they've asked me to do.
Bit bizarre actually because they're on a 48 hour reply turnaround and they've pretty much asked me to everything twice even though I was detailed in my replies

Annnnd guess what happened whilst the case has been ongoing? My warranty expired :D
I'm not one for conspiracy theories though...

I'll wait to see what they say, but its really looking like the input is duffed. I tired hooking up a midi controller with din midi out into it, as well as another synth, and still got no tones. Checked the part switches were set to on as well.

Thanks for all the replies so far though. I'll post up the outcome
Stuart100

Post by Stuart100 »

Hi,

I would push Roland to help you sort it out. If your DIN midi in has failed they should repair it as a good will gesture if the warranty has just expired. Its a world class stage piano. It would not look good if they abandon you. So keep in contact with Roland and the forum. I had a midi in port fail on a Native Instruments KA6 mk 2 audio interface last year. It was replaced under warranty. Ive used midi since it was invented. I never had a midi port fail before? It makes you wonder about the quality of some components.

The workaround is to use usb midi. Although I know thats not ideal for you.

Ps. Double check you have the midi out on the test synth set to the same midi channel on the RD midi in and the zone is enabled and volume up on that zone. Also try another midi cable in case one is faulty.

Cheers

Stuart
Stuart100

Post by Stuart100 »

Hi.

Did you manage to sort this out or did Roland get back to you?

Cheers

Stuart
Stuart100

Post by Stuart100 »

Hi.

Last week I connected a midi cable to midi in of the RD2000. Guess what it is no longer working! Im running Os version 2.0 on the RD. It used to work? Anyone else with this problem? I wonder if it an OS problem?

So question to group is. Whos using midi cables to the RD2000 midi in successfully. If so what OS is on your RD? Version 2, 1.5, or earlier?

Thank you

Stuart
Gus

Post by Gus »

Hi Stuart.
I have RD2000 firmware version 2.0.
I tested with my synth "Korg opsix" with cables midi in and out simultaneously plugged into the RD 2000, everything seems to work.
On the opsix set to channel 1, I control Zone1 of the RD2000, on channel 2 of the opsix I control Zone 2 and so on until Zone 8 of the RD2000.
From the RD 2000 channel 1 on the Z5 external port I control the volume of the Korg opsix.
In Systeme RD 2000 have you checked if the midi ports are "on or off"?
By default program control chanel is on 16.
"midi out 2 port mode" is set to out.
Stuart100

Post by Stuart100 »

Hi Gus.

So you can play rd2000 zone 1 midi in - from say the opsix using midi cables from opsix midi out - ok?

Im away from the RD2000 at the moment but will check system settings when I get back.

Thanks

Stuart
Gus

Post by Gus »

Hi Stuart,
I did some tests again.
In "system menu" if the "USB mid thru switch" parameter is "OFF" I can control the RD2000 with the korg opsix.
If I switch it to "on" it doesn't work anymore.
check this setting as soon as you can.

(the korg opsix is a great FM synth and more)
With "key range" I can assign it a range in the external zone of the RD 2000 and use the internal sounds of the RD 2000 in other ranges at the same time.