Rd-88 outputs

Stage Pianos
JeffJ1827

Rd-88 outputs

Post by JeffJ1827 »

I am thinking about purchasing a new RD-88....Is it true that the Outputs are unbalanced?..I could not find any info on the specifications page for the product...Need to know for purchase of TRS/XLR cables..and DI box..Thanks!
peternh

Re: Rd-88 outputs

Post by peternh »

Yes, the outputs are unbalanced jacks - left (or mono) and right. Most keyboards at this level have unbalanced (TS) outputs only - I've never had a board with balanced outputs - usually too heavy (an indirect relationship presumably, but have found this to be the case over decades).
I use a passive DI, or just direct to the PA without any transformer.
Love my RD-88!
dbelmont2

Post by dbelmont2 »

Does this mean that TRS cables shouldn't be used an just TS ones should ?
Old No7

Post by Old No7 »

dbelmont2 wrote: 03:21, 24 July 2021 Does this mean that TRS cables shouldn't be used an just TS ones should ?
I'm no expert, but I went back to using TS cables with my RD-88 and 2 other boards when I added a second powered speaker (for stereo effect, all routed through my mixer). The info below tells me the cost was likely worth it.

Courtesy of Sweetwater, I found this info...

Old No7

TS vs. TRS cables

TS and TRS connectors are used in different types of cables but can sometimes be used interchangeably. So what’s the difference and when should you use unbalanced TS or balanced TRS?

TS connectors and cables
TS cables are generally used for mono, unbalanced signals. ¼” TS cables are commonly called guitar cables because they’re mostly used to connect a guitar to an amplifier. TS connectors have two contact points separated by an insulator ring: tip (T) and sleeve (S). The audio signal travels over the tip while the ground uses the sleeve. That means T is positive and S is ground.

When to use TS connectors
Connecting a guitar to an amplifier, pedalboard, audio interface, or mixer.
Connecting a keyboard with unbalanced TS outputs to the unbalanced input on a DI box or the instrument input on a mixer.

Can I use a TRS cable as a TS cable?
Unbalanced TS cables should be used with unbalanced input and outputs.
TRS cables can occasionally be used instead of a TS cable, but the signal is still unbalanced.
Consider using a TRS > TS converter.
dbelmont2

Post by dbelmont2 »

Thanks for the info ... I am now using TS cables coming out of the RD-88 into QSC K series speakers ... works great ...