Sending patch changes from RD2000

Stage Pianos
killbreth

Sending patch changes from RD2000

Post by killbreth »

So I have used the RD2000 as a master controller with MainStage and various other synths for a few years, but am now trying to setup a rig where the RD2000 is the main controller and is sending patch change information without a laptop.
I have it configured so that the RD2000 is sending patch change info to two other synths. The problem that I have run into is that in order to send patch change info I have to enable an external zone, but when I do this the RD plays the sound from one of the other two keyboards. I really just want to use the RD to play its internal sounds and send patch changes, I would like to play the other sounds on the other keyboards.
Please let me know if anyone has any thoughts on this - Im probably missing something but can't quite seem to figure it out.

Thanks!
Stuart100

Re: Sending patch changes from RD2000

Post by Stuart100 »

Hi,

I have not tried this but if you set the note range Rng Lo/Rng Up on the external zone to say midi note 0 / 1 then playing any keys other than those midi notes ie notes 2 to 127 will not sound the external midi device. But the CC will transmit on that channel when an assigned controller is changed. Let me know if this works?

See page 20 parameter manual.

Cheers

Stuart
killbreth

Post by killbreth »

Thank you! This sounds promising - I hadn't thought ( or really understood ) the Rng Lo/Rng Up but will give it a shot!
Stuart100

Post by Stuart100 »

Hi,

Let us know if it works !

Cheers

Stu
SteelyDan

Post by SteelyDan »

quite sure it works that way, (I think) I tried this once. Also take care of the controller settings, probably you also won't want to transmit all the damper, mod wheel etc. controller changes.
btw, sometimes not only the manual is helpful but also the Parameter Guide, you can download it via Roland support page.
In this case: pg 18 "Using the RD-2000 as a Master Keyboard"
Andrew-Sherlock

Post by Andrew-Sherlock »

Hi. I am trying to set up a Mainstage concert (a musical with 200 plus patch changes, multiple strips) using Mainstage and RD2000 internal sounds i.e Mainstage using RD as an external instrument (Channel strip). MS is not responding when I attempt to save the MSB/LSB and PC numbers. Any advise before I throw both out of the window?
Stuart100

Post by Stuart100 »

Hi,

It sounds like a mainstage problem. I guess you have midi out of MainStage set to rd2000? Presumably patch changes on the rd work ok with other software? You could test with my rd2000 editor. Www.stuartpryer.co.uk

Remember to set other synths to a different midi channel so they dont sound. If you set midi thru on the rd then incoming midi to the rd by midi din cables wont be picked up by the RD.

Are you running the latest version of mainstage on your mac?

Cheers

Stuart
Andrew-Sherlock

Post by Andrew-Sherlock »

Hi Sorry for the late response.

Before I try again, I am using the RD2000 USB port to my MAC (Internal interface) rather than the 5 pin Midi system. Is that a problem?

Andrew