Stage Pianos
Fleer

New FP-E50 vs RD-88

Post by Fleer »

Differences?
DesertBoat

Re: New FP-E50 vs RD-88

Post by DesertBoat »

The biggest thing is RD is a stage piano. Not as powerful as the big brother RD 2000, but much of the same capabilities, factored down to three zones.

FP-E50 is an accompaniment machine. Two tone zones, single MIDI transmit channel, not clear how this respects the keyboard split.

The FP does have an accompaniment section. Looks like preset rhythm styles, and editable chord progressions. Looks like they will sell additional accompaniment styles on Roland Cloud. No MIDI receive channel. No effects to mention - there is something called ambience. Does have a mike input with chords & vocoder.

If you are in a band -> RD 88
If you are a one person band -> FP
Old No7

Post by Old No7 »

DesertBoat wrote: 16:26, 26 January 2023 If you are in a band -> RD 88
If you are a one person band -> FP
I have to admit, I'm very interested in the FP-E50 for the accompaniment options and chord sequencer.

Differences that I've found so far include:
* RD is $300 more list price -- is this from the fewer sounds? As adding those other features to FP-E cost something...
* RD has 3,000 tones -- FP-E has 947, but also has 74 drum kits added
* RD has Midi out -- FP-E can use Bluetooth for Midi
* RD has damper pedal plus 2 others (assignable) -- FP-E has damper & sustain
* RD has 2 tweeters -- woofers are about the same on each
** RD is 6W amp -- FP-E is 11W
* RD has a smaller screen -- FP-E's screen is 3 to 4X larger (allows more content for the added features)
* RD is 1/2" shorter -- FP-E is 0.7" wider and 2.6" deeper
* RD weighs 29.8# -- FP-E weighs 37.8#
***RD has 3 knobs for EQ -- FP-E's EQ might be in a menu (no knobs or sliders)

Differences above were identified per:
* From "Compare" option on Sweetwater
** From Roland website
*** From my RD-88 (I recall from another keys forum that Fleer may have an RD-88 too?)

Sweetwater says this for the keybed:
RD = PHA-4 Weighted Hammer Action (have read it is progressive, with escapement)
FP-E = PHA-4 Standard, Ivory Feel, Escapement
--> But are these the same, just described differently???
... It's too soon to see any user/retailer direct comparisons on this...

RD can save/edit/rename scenes for the user (overwrite an INIT scene), but one of the videos on the FP-E mentioned that "favorites" (splits and/or layers) could be saved , and there is a "Favorite" button -- But "how many" can you save? -- I don't know yet...

Please add what else you might find, or update/correct anything I've noted.

Old No7
Fleer

Post by Fleer »

RD-88 seems to have more FX (and comp/EQ).
pianocomsabor

Post by pianocomsabor »

After playing the Roland fpe50 against the Rd 88 at the comfort of my home, I can happily say I will be returning it.

In a nut shell, this keyboard is not a substitute/upgrade/competitor for the RD 88 nor a competitor to Yamaha Ck88.

Although the Roland Fpe50 showcases the supernatural engine, internal Zen Core sounds and wave expandability (paid). The user is stuck with the factory prestes, only the reverb and supernatural piano parameters are adjustable. That’s it, absolutely zero editability.
If you are like me, I love customising the attack, release, decay, portamento, cutoff, effects, apply chorus, customise the phaser depths, auto pan, add some delay and save into user memory. But on this keyboard, Nada. All these parameters are present but hidden, there is no app, computer program or anything that will give the user any form of access to sound editing like in the old days of sound canvas, JV2080 or like RD 88 or Yamaha CK.

Furthermore, only two sounds can be used either by layering or split.

In my opinion this keyboard is not catered to the professional musician. The arranger feature is in fact quite mediocre, I can’t imagine a half decent musician gigging with it. Perhaps, some might want to just use the drums, but here is the thing, let’s suppose you really dig the R&B drum pattern but want to swap the drum kit…no can do folks. Also shall I mention the auto fill on every 8 or 16 measures? The facing down speaker is quite a disappointment (dull sounding) when there is plenty of space above, also no tweeters. The RD 88 has tweeters and sounds like in your face.

On a good note, this is a great keyboard for the amateur home enthusiastic. It stands on its own league. Great action, pretty much a family keeper with the option to plug a mic in and sing away. Also a great upgrade from a Yamaha p125, Roland Fp30 etc the FPe50 is really fun for home leisure. Another cool thing is that you use the mod wheel as a fader to control the balance for the layers.

Conclusion, it is exactly what Roland says it is, a Digital entertainment piano.
Old No7

Post by Old No7 »

pianocomsabor wrote: 00:43, 6 May 2023 After playing the Roland fpe50 against the Rd 88 at the comfort of my home, I can happily say I will be returning it.

In a nut shell, this keyboard is not a substitute/upgrade/competitor for the RD 88...
Thanks for sharing that feedback -- much appreciated.

I'll be sticking with my RD-88 as well.

Old No7
anotherscott2022

Post by anotherscott2022 »

I'd look at the FP-E50 as Roland's answer to a Yamaha DGX-670 or Korg XE20.