Action on second hand gear

Stage Pianos
stramington

Action on second hand gear

Post by stramington »

Hi all,

I was seriously thinking of getting an RD88 thinking that I although I fancy RD2000, this would be enough and advantage of built in speakers etc.

However, having played the RD88 next to an RD2000 for about an hour with also a playing on a Yamaha P515, the RD2000 action and YamahaP515 action seemed much better than RD88. The RD88 and RD200o were both going to same speakers and piano sounds also much better on RD2000.

The P515 action I liked but seemed to spring back up just a fraction to quick for my liking and so the RD2000 is now my probable purchase.

I could buy new but question I have is that if you buy one second hand that has been played for a few years, will the fact that it may have been hammered i.e. the 'mileage on the clock' impact and deteriorate the action in anyway?

A side note, the RD2000 has no speakers and so although I would usually use headphones, what is a really cheap speaker that you can plug straight out of the RD2000 into if it is just for occasional use and not so bothered about sound quality or volume (this would be a temporary measure as after house improvements I will use my proper monitors etc)
stramington

Re: Action on second hand gear

Post by stramington »

It’s very quiet in here…….
xp30

Post by xp30 »

stramington wrote: 17:06, 30 April 2023 I could buy new but question I have is that if you buy one second hand that has been played for a few years, will the fact that it may have been hammered i.e. the 'mileage on the clock' impact and deteriorate the action in anyway?
I have no experience with the RD-2000, and I can't answer that part. However, I can share some experience with buying keyboards on the used market.

I have made good experience with using a commercial platform for buying and selling used gear (although they take a 9-12% cut). They often try to incentivize good behavior, and they would typically offer some help if the product was not in the described state. I would just ask the seller how much the keyboard action deteriorated, and take them by their word.

The RD-88 and RD-2000 are both stage pianos, and the P-515 is some kind of hybrid between home and stage piano. It is not clear to me whether you are looking for a home piano or a stage piano. I own an RD-700 SX, and I no longer recommend these types of digital pianos for stage or home use (including the RD-2000), because they are so large and heavy. I would prefer an RD-88 over an RD-2000, and an RD-76 over an RD-88.
stramington

Post by stramington »

Thanks for the reply

Interesting as I had decided that RD88 for the light weight reason that you specify

However, for me it comes down to the action. I played both side by side and after playing for about an hour on both (and probably annoying the shop staff) there was a world of difference between the RD2000 and Rd88 to me (it is personal). I am used to Yamaha acoustic pianos and a CP300 which had quite a heavy action. The CP300 wished a lot though.

I used to gig a lot but these days mostly at home with the odd live gig once or twice a year at most.

Thanks