Beginner and in need of an iPad/Phone for Roland RD-88

Stage Pianos
128notes

Beginner and in need of an iPad/Phone for Roland RD-88

Post by 128notes »

Hello! I don't know if I'm posting this thread on the right page. I'm a Beginner in music and new to this forum. I've been hesitating to join this forum since i just started playing piano as a hobby and there's a lot of good information here that one day i can catch up and review, and Thank you! Anyway, i have owned an RD-88 for the past year and this is my first full 88 keys. I really like the action and keybed! Right now I'm on a hunt for iPad or Phone that can communicate better with the Rd-88. Of course the budget one :) Audio/video basic Recording. Also helps me to practice Music sheets. Since i have an old iPhone 6 that is outdated, I'm confused about which one to get, about all the versions and updates i might end up buying the wrong one. If you guys have any suggestions, it will help me a lot! Thanks!
xp30

Re: Beginner and in need of an iPad/Phone for Roland RD-88

Post by xp30 »

128notes wrote: 15:45, 2 May 2023 Right now I'm on a hunt for iPad or Phone that can communicate better with the Rd-88. Of course the budget one :) Audio/video basic Recording. Also helps me to practice Music sheets.
Can you go into more details about what you would like to do with the iPhone/iPad and the RD-88? You mentioned audio/video basic recording. AFAIK, the USB audio interface on the RD-88 is NOT class compliant, and will not work with iPhones and iPads. The RD-88 also does not support video over USB.
128notes

Post by 128notes »

xp30 wrote: 18:45, 4 May 2023
128notes wrote: 15:45, 2 May 2023 Right now I'm on a hunt for iPad or Phone that can communicate better with the Rd-88. Of course the budget one :) Audio/video basic Recording. Also helps me to practice Music sheets.
Can you go into more details about what you would like to do with the iPhone/iPad and the RD-88? You mentioned audio/video basic recording.
Hi! Sorry for the lack of details and confusion. I'm taking music classes online and I wanted to show my teacher how I do fingering, I want to have a clip but then the audio is picking up outside noises. I wanted to have a crisp clear sound and only piano sound output.
xp30 wrote: AFAIK, the USB audio interface on the RD-88 is NOT class compliant, and will not work with iPhones and iPads. The RD-88 also does not support video over USB.
that means, i really need an external audio interface for what setup I want? If I'm not making myself clear. can you please refer to this video if you have time. I tried this it didn't work. https://youtu.be/DCrFjtNXaek
xp30

Post by xp30 »

128notes wrote: 01:19, 7 May 2023 Hi! Sorry for the lack of details and confusion. I'm taking music classes online and I wanted to show my teacher how I do fingering, I want to have a clip but then the audio is picking up outside noises. I wanted to have a crisp clear sound and only piano sound output.

that means, i really need an external audio interface for what setup I want? If I'm not making myself clear. can you please refer to this video if you have time. I tried this it didn't work. https://youtu.be/DCrFjtNXaek
The video describes a simple solution. However, it is also a bit strange. The video mentions that the recording will be in stereo, however, I don't think that works with a TRRS cable. I guess it implicitly sums the left and right channel, which is usually worse than just taking either the left or right channel.

The other thing is: If you are talking about online lessons, then I assume you are using the iPad also for the video call. If that is the case, then the setup is more complicated, because you need to mix two sources of audio (your voice and the sound of the keyboard), you need to be able to hear the teacher on your head phones, and you need to hear your piano also on the head phone (and in realtime).

I would ask your teacher for recommendations, because the setup is non-trivial, and they might have experience with other students.
aron

Post by aron »

The RD-88 IS class compliant. In the USB driver settings, set this to GENERIC. Then it is class compliant. Set it to VENDOR to use Roland's driver.
128notes

Post by 128notes »

Right. I bought one of those splitters it didn't work. i tried it on 2 more mobile phones nothing works too. I'll just give up on this one and will look for a different solution.
I would ask your teacher for recommendations, because the setup is non-trivial, and they might have experience with other students.
Tbh, i just thought of that. D: Will do, Thanks!
xp30

Post by xp30 »

aron wrote: 15:59, 10 May 2023 The RD-88 IS class compliant. In the USB driver settings, set this to GENERIC. Then it is class compliant. Set it to VENDOR to use Roland's driver.
Class-compliant MIDI-over-USB or class-compliant audio-over-USB? I guess it is the former. I don't have an RD-88 to check it, however, the owners manual says about the USB Driver setting: "GENERIC: Choose this when using the USB driver that was provided with your computer. Only MIDI can be used."
128notes

Post by 128notes »

i think i just really need a new phone. haha. I tried it and there are a lot of things i need to figure out. It just may be my old iPhone 6 is not class compliant. But i tried it on Voice Memo on the phone it sounds like this. Just a warning lower your volume, it might sound too loud. See attached file.
Attachments
5000 2.m4a
(53.29 KiB) Downloaded 41 times