Keyboard Advice for Beginner Player with 35 years Guitar (and interest in Jazz)

Stage Pianos
bcollins1974

Keyboard Advice for Beginner Player with 35 years Guitar (and interest in Jazz)

Post by bcollins1974 »

Hi All,
Thanks for allowing me into this forum. I am a 49 year old guy who had played guitar since I was 13. I am planning to start learning keyboards to fulfil a lifelong ambition. My understanding of music theory is pretty solid, and Inak getting better at reading notation. I want to buy a keyboard which I can use to learn Jazz. I a bit of an obsessive Bill Evans and Keith Jarrett fan, so a natural sounding Jazz Piano and good concert grand sound would be essential. I am also a huge fan of Chick Corea / Joe Zawinul / Herbie Hancock/ Lyle Mays (and guys like Gary Husband in later years) so would like a good emulator for Electric Piano / Fender Rhodes / Wurlitzer etc. In addition classic rock Hammond B3 as a bonus - The Band, Bob Dylan. As I realise I starting from nothing but have ambitions to get good I have set a good budget - say up to €/€ 2000 and even 2500 for the right instrument. Inbelieve in buying quality and not having to upgrade (I own several high end acoustic Collings and Lowden guitars and this approach has served me well).

Can anyone on this forum suggest where I could look for my first keyboard? I am asking on this forum because the RD88 and RD2000 (but also like Nord Grand / Kawai MO11SE) really look interesting but I am really open to any sensible option.

Thank you sincerely - as a beginner I hope the question is not inappropriate or a time waster for people here.

Billy
xp30

Re: Keyboard Advice for Beginner Player with 35 years Guitar (and interest in Jazz)

Post by xp30 »

The feel of the keys is important for many keyboard players. You mentioned acoustic piano, electric piano and tonewheel organ sounds, and unfortunately, playing all of them on the same keyboard is a compromise. Some keyboard players prefer to use a piano-like action (hammer action) in such a situation, whereas others would prefer an organ-like action (waterfall).

My advice regarding keyboard actions is: Go to a shop, play them and decide for yourself which one you like the most. Because there is no consensus about that in the keyboard community.

If you go to a shop, some interesting candidates (below 2,500 EUR) are:
  • Hammond SK-PRO (waterfall action)
  • Nord Electro 6D 73 (waterfall action)
  • Roland RD-2000 (piano-like action)
  • Roland RD-88 (piano-like action)
  • Studiologic Numa X Piano 73/88 (light hammer action)
  • Studiologic Numa X Piano GT (piano-like action)
  • Yamaha CK88 (piano-like action)
  • Yamaha CP73 (light hammer action)
  • Yamaha CP88 (piano-like action)
  • Yamaha YC73 (light hammer action)
Having said that, I would not recommend spending 2,500 EUR on your first keyboard. I think it makes sense to start with an affordable keyboard, and replace it later when you have a better understanding of what you need. From the above list, two interesting candidates are the Roland RD-88 and the Nord Electro 6D 73. The RD-88 is good value for the money, and the Electro 6D has great sounds and is easy to sell on the used market.
bcollins1974

Re: Keyboard Advice for Beginner Player with 35 years Guitar (and interest in Jazz)

Post by bcollins1974 »

First of all I really want to thank you for such a thoughtful and very detailed response. Really appreciated. Now in hindsight I think you are right about my budget. There is nothing wrong with lowering it for a first investment. I actually tried the RD88 a week ago, and compated it briefly to one or two other (portable with speakers - ES520 I think). I loved it, but coming from acoustic guitar I was kind of surprised by how relativerly inexpensive it was. I found it hard to believe you could buy a keyboard that would not be a toy for around this price. It had a loively action, surprisingly decent sound for the form factor, and really nice discrete set of controls. If I follow the logic below, the CK88 might be another worthy alternative.

But I appreciate your thoughts and will look one more time carefully at the RF88. When I heard it I really liked it. I will zoom in on RD88, CK88 and Electro 6D. Many many thanks.

Biklly
xp30

Post by xp30 »

bcollins1974 wrote: 08:54, 16 May 2023 I will zoom in on RD88, CK88 and Electro 6D.
You are right. I should have included the Yamaha CK88. I would say that the CK88 sounds significantly better than the RD88 (in particular for acoustic pianos), and is also easier to use. OTOH, I would say that the keyboard action of the RD-88 is slightly better. I have a preference for the RD-88 because of the interoperability with other Zen-Core products, however, that is probably not important for you.