RD88 - Adjusting Tuning on the fly

Stage Pianos
JeroUK

RD88 - Adjusting Tuning on the fly

Post by JeroUK »

Hey All

I have a feeling I may have stumbled on a major bugbear for me, but let's see...

I often need to adjust the global tuning of my stage piano quickly and easily - most commonly to match a recording that's laid down slightly off key while learning a new song. Also to match up with a guitar, for example, that's in tune with itself so they don't have to retune the whole thing.

On my crummy old Technics this was super-simple. Just as easy as transposing in fact. I've had a good rummage though and I can't find a way of doing it on the RD88 - is it doable, or maybe is there a hack that doesn't involve fighting the fiddly menu system?

Surely this can't be a godawful oversight? Please tell me I'm being a doofus!

Cheers all!

Jero
Old No7

Re: RD88 - Adjusting Tuning on the fly

Post by Old No7 »

I've never had to do it -- but I think you'll need to menu-dive into the Scene Edit section; I'd bet it's in there -- but if so, it may not be a "global setting" (which could be good or bad, based on how often you want to do that).

Old No7
Gus

Post by Gus »

Good morning,
I do not have an RD 88 but on the Roland site, the Roland RD 88 parameter guide can be downloaded.
It contains additional and more detailed information that is not found in the instructions for use.
As for the RD 2000, the microtuning parameter is accessible in the "general system parameters" menu.
I attach a screenshot.
Cordially
Attachments
info RD 88.jpg
info RD 88.jpg (104.85 KiB) Viewed 377 times
Old No7

Post by Old No7 »

Thanks. It's even easier than that -- no menu diving at all for a "global" tuning change!

Just checked my RD-88... (This is a feature I've never used...)

The 4th knob on left section (#5 if you count Master Volume as #1) covers Reverb, but changes to Transpose when the EQ Adjust button is pressed and lit (enabling low-mid-high EQ changes). Press and hold the Transpose button (under the knob), and use the Inc (+) or Dec (-) buttons to the right of the screen to transpose up or down; and the Transpose button STAYS LIT to remind you that it's been changed. When set back to "zero" (no change) the light on the button goes out.

There is menu diving needed too transpose one scene; but that could be useful if you make/save that scene for a certain singer who needs that one song (scene) tuned up/down.

Old No7
Gus

Post by Gus »

Hello, "old number 7".

From what "jero united kingdom" mentions, when he says:

(most often to match a slightly off-key recording while learning a new song)

I didn't think of
transposition of "1/2 tone by 1/2 tone" but I was thinking more of the precise adjustment of the tuning fork (339hz 440hz or 443) to be as close as possible to a recording that's what I supposed to identify in his question.
Transposition by 1/2 tone he can not miss it there is a dedicated button.
Sincerely Gus