Roland Cloud service outage ...

Forum to discuss all aspects of Roland's Cloud

Roland Cloud service outage ...

Postby zombietactics » 21:28, 14 July 2017

...left many users unable to use VSTs recently.

NOT. GOOD.
zombietactics

Re: Roland Cloud service outage ...

Postby jerry_merry » 12:47, 17 July 2017

What outage?
jerry_merry

Postby Skijumptoes » 14:12, 17 July 2017

Example here:-

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... st12735532

Their problem is this isn't even a cloud service, i.e. it's probably relying on a single server location to keep the service running, Roland won't pay for decent redundancy, just as they haven't invested in a true DRM system which ensures users can use their paid for content without being at the mercy of Roland's servers within a 24 hr period.
Skijumptoes

Postby Devnor » 20:23, 18 July 2017

Calm down guys. The service is still in BETA.
Devnor

Postby richardbates1 » 21:44, 18 July 2017

Does anyone have any idea of when Roland Cloud will leave the Beta phase.
The way Roland is rolling this out is leaving allot really vague?
richardbates1

Postby Skijumptoes » 23:18, 18 July 2017

Devnor wrote:Calm down guys. The service is still in BETA.

What is the 'service' though? This whole 'cloud' idea, so far, is just a monthly fee for some plugins.

There is no cloud platform here that they're trialling, there's no DRM system that they're trialling, seems like redundancy isn't something they're willing to invest in either, and because of their current crude system it will be ripped apart by hackers (Worse, will be supported by legit users who need uptime) before it even leaves Beta.

I'd love to see this succeed, but they're racing towards getting money through the door before actually putting the infrastructure in, and it will bite them big time - In fact, the current suite of plugins have been immediately devalued as they've found their way into the dark depths of the internet, and that's a real shame as they should've been locked down as jewels in the Roland crown.

I'll be honest, it's really frustrating as a long time Roland customer, as the chance of this service being either dumped or quietly left to rot increases by the month. Whereas it should be a really affordable option for someone wanting a great suite of plugs and other services, such as patch sharing/management etc. But they're building on quicksand.
Skijumptoes

Postby richardbates1 » 06:00, 20 July 2017

I went to Roland Cloud and I did not see the Beta under the Roland Cloud logo.
I think that means Roland Cloud is out of Beta stage????
richardbates1

Postby mimoid » 08:40, 20 July 2017

richardbates1 wrote:I went to Roland Cloud and I did not see the Beta under the Roland Cloud logo.
I think that means Roland Cloud is out of Beta stage????

The plugins themselves are not in beta (although there are some issues that are still being worked on, like offline authorization problems). Regarding the service, there is still just one subscription level, called Early Access Beta. Exactly what this means is quite unclear. Details like whether or not you can you keep a plugin of your choice after one year, or how the other two subscription levels will differ from the early beta are still being worked out at Roland.
mimoid

Return to Roland Cloud