Roland D-50

Forum to discuss all aspects of Roland's Cloud

Roland D-50

Postby mimoid » 21:20, 21 June 2017

In case you have missed it, the new Roland D-50 is now available for download as a VST from Roland Cloud. It is unfortunately not a plugout, so it will require a DAW to run. Also, the programming interface resembles the PG-1000 programmer with dozens of sliders, so I don't see how this would work as a plugout.

It will require you to download the Roland Cloud Manager, which will run as a resident service on your computer and allow you to install your soft synths.

I have spent a couple of hours playing with the new D-50 for some time now and I am amazed. I used to have the original hardware some 35 years ago, and because of the gruesome interface (without the PG-1000), I never really got beyond the presets. However in the VST, programming is quite simple because of the brilliant fold-out programmer interface. If you just forget about those awfully dated 80's PCM snippets and replace the low-budget sounding onboard effects with something more appropriate, I find this to be a magnificent synthesizer, capable of some truly amazing and perfectly contemporary sounds.

The GUI is now fully rescalable, so it looks pretty even on a large screen. I can just hope that Roland will revisit the previous plugouts too and give them the same eye-candy treatment. One negative observation, even though there is a MIDI learn function, it is per one slider per partial only, so tweaking a full sound on the fly is a bit tricky and will require you to do some clever copying and pasting of CC events in the DAW.

Another thing that surprised me is that quick render (render-in-place) does not seems to work. It will just jumble up the sounds from the partials. You will need to print the audio in real-time, just like with physical hardware, I suppose it is because the code that runs is actually the same code as the real hardware used to run.

I encountered a few audio glitches, like when moving some sliders from the zero point to a value point, and also some random bugs like not all values having names (like the reverb effects), but apart from these minor nuisaces, it seems to be an exact replica of the original.
mimoid

Re: Roland D-50

Postby Skijumptoes » 21:58, 21 June 2017

Ah, so the Roland Cloud Manager is something new too, right? I didn't see that during my trial.

How does the cloud manager seem, ok?

Also is the D-50 CPU heavy like the Juno etc?
Skijumptoes

Postby mimoid » 22:05, 21 June 2017

Skijumptoes wrote:Ah, so the Roland Cloud Manager is something new too, right? I didn't see that during my trial.

How does the cloud manager seem, ok?

Also is the D-50 CPU heavy like the Juno etc?

The Cloud Manager seems quite unobtrusive and keeps track of your downloads, kind of like Arturia Software Center or NI Service Center.

The D-50 is far from as processor heavy as the previous ACB emulations, but I just noticed that if you try to do a "render in place" in your DAW (kind of fast audio rendering), it will result in a completely jumbled performance where the partials are not synchronized with each other. It needs to be handled as real hardware and the audio file should be rendered in real time. Presumably because the code is the same as the original D-50.
mimoid

Postby timbo4000 » 16:53, 22 June 2017

Was wondering, is just a sample based vst or is it a full D50 with all wave forms so Any sound / patch the original D50 could make this could. if so is it sysex compatible so to load previous patch banks etc, say Jean Michel Jarre sounds??
timbo4000

Postby Skijumptoes » 17:07, 22 June 2017

The legendary instruments are true recreations, Anthology series are the sample based versions - The D-50 now has both options.

So you have the D-50 (Legendary) version, or a sample based version, The 1987 (Anthology series).
Skijumptoes

Postby mimoid » 17:29, 22 June 2017

timbo4000 wrote:Was wondering, is just a sample based vst or is it a full D50 with all wave forms so Any sound / patch the original D50 could make this could. if so is it sysex compatible so to load previous patch banks etc, say Jean Michel Jarre sounds??

The Legendary D-50 is a fully programmable digital synthesizer. It is pretty much the same code that used to run inside the original synth, except it is now inside a wrapper code to be able to run as a VST. You can change every parameter in the brilliant PG-1000-like foldout interface.

(By the way, the JMJ sounds are just some standard factory presets. They are included in the D-50.)
mimoid

Postby timbo4000 » 17:40, 22 June 2017

I have a D50, love it but always wanted a soft vst version. I must have every sound bank available and was just wondering if the new legendary D50 would read sysex. programming my favourite sounds would take years.
timbo4000

Postby timbo4000 » 22:17, 10 July 2017

it appears that some chap on the uk sound on sound magazine forum has managed to convert all of the Roland D50 sysex banks to Bin format that is read by the Roland legendary D50 vst version. He has supplied a download link to his web page where you can download the banks. I have downloaded them my self but as yet have not have had time to give them ago. They are supplied both in bin and sysex format. This is what he wrote.

'' If anyone is using this (or still in their trial month! ;), the D50 plugin does not have sysex import, so you can't directly use the many hu[/b]ndreds of sysex banks available online.

I've converted all the banks in the archive here https://www.cultofd50.org to the plugin BIN format, so you can enjoy 600+ D50 banks with the plugin - lots of nice stuff in here!

You can download the converted archive here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/owdr8l3ulp0s3 ... n.zip?dl=1 (13 MB zip)

In the plugin, open the "Patch" browser, and use the "Load" button to load in one or more BIN banks.

If anyone has or finds any other D50 banks they'd like to convert, drop me a line and I'll convert it for you (it doesn't make much sense to go to the effort to put the converter on the web somewhere, as Roland many just add an "Import Sysex" button in the plugin soon) but for now it's great to access many many extra patches in the plugin. ''

Link to the Sound on sound forum page.
http://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewt ... 23&t=57503

Hope this helps.
timbo4000

Postby Skijumptoes » 11:03, 11 July 2017

Further to this, if there's any Logic users here there's a guy on the Logic Pro Help forums who has taken the additional step of saving this sysex collection as .aupresets for the audio unit version of the plugin:-

https://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/view ... 20#p674246

Link should take you directly to their post.
Skijumptoes

Postby skinmechanic » 12:35, 22 July 2017

I never had the original but I've done recently an A/B test of the Cloud Plugin as part of my 30 days trial with the D50 that is available with the V-Synth XT. Most of the patches sound the same, there is some difference in Effects that are noticeable she of the patches in the Plugin seem to be richer in sound but this is down to the effects as when you listen to them RAW they are identical so I' not sure what Roland did with the plugin version or what's different to this and the V-Synth version. It's not enough to subscribe though, as I'm not interested in many of the other plugins to warrant £20 a month for the rest of my life.
skinmechanic

Postby thartnett » 21:55, 7 September 2017

Regarding sysex import/export of D-50 patches--there's a free third-party utility that does that:

http://www.difficultaudio.com
thartnett

Postby iixorb » 10:38, 29 September 2017

Good to see the latest D-50 update is more stable when selecting new patches.
They didn't always load fully before but this seems to be resolved, resulting in a more authentic experience.

No SYS-EX patch loading yet, but the steps mentioned in posts above mine do seem to work.

Seems the dropbox link further up is incomplete.
Try this for that massive selection of compatible patches:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/owdr8l3ulp0s3 ... n.zip?dl=1
iixorb

Return to Roland Cloud