What is UP with the CPU usage of the Roland Cloud plugins?

Forum to discuss all aspects of Roland's Cloud
ExodusSeven

What is UP with the CPU usage of the Roland Cloud plugins?

Post by ExodusSeven »

Hi there,

This is actually my first post here. And as you can see by my title...I'm looking for answers. Advice. Actually anything besides "getting a new laptop" since I can't really...do that yet.

I'll start with my computer specs. I would say all in all they're not that bad for using as a production suite and also for entertainment but for these plugins I can barely handle 2 of them (I use FL Studio).

anyways, the specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2501 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM):6.00 GB
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
System Model: Dell System Vostro 3450
Hard Drive Size: 697.69 GB (749,136,678,912 bytes)
And my copy of FL Studio is FL Studio v12.3 [build 72 - 64bit].
Back to the plugins, is this just an unfix-able bug and I pretty much can't use them at all, or do I need to change some settings in my DAW?
As far as the audio buffer goes I've tried all of them in FL, 512 works the best and setting it to anything else makes it unbearable. It's a shame really, they have beautiful samples.

Let me know. Thanks in advance.
thartnett

Re: What is UP with the CPU usage of the Roland Cloud plugin

Post by thartnett »

In the Option menu for the plug-in, try selecting the "Optimize for lower CPU usage" and/or reducing voice count.
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

ExodusSeven wrote:Hi there,

This is actually my first post here. And as you can see by my title...I'm looking for answers. Advice. Actually anything besides "getting a new laptop" since I can't really...do that yet.

I'll start with my computer specs. I would say all in all they're not that bad for using as a production suite and also for entertainment but for these plugins I can barely handle 2 of them (I use FL Studio).

anyways, the specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2501 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM):6.00 GB
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
System Model: Dell System Vostro 3450
Hard Drive Size: 697.69 GB (749,136,678,912 bytes)
And my copy of FL Studio is FL Studio v12.3 [build 72 - 64bit].
Back to the plugins, is this just an unfix-able bug and I pretty much can't use them at all, or do I need to change some settings in my DAW?
As far as the audio buffer goes I've tried all of them in FL, 512 works the best and setting it to anything else makes it unbearable. It's a shame really, they have beautiful samples.

Let me know. Thanks in advance.
Roland Cloud instruments are amongst the most complex simulations available, so they certainly require powerful enough hardware to run them.

I am not sure about FL, but isn't there a way to temporarily freeze a VST instrument track to audio, and then continue with the next instance?
Devnor

Post by Devnor »

I feel your pain. I can only run 3 jupiter 8 plugins before it takes down a hex core mac pro. Freezing tracks helps. What I do is compose the track on external gear then at the end of the session, bounce the cloud instruments direct to audio.
MacTyros

Post by MacTyros »

I think the plugins where orriginally created for dsp processing
And inefficiently converted for PC and Mac use
skinmechanic

Post by skinmechanic »

Certainly the Juno and Jupiter plugins are like that and mostly because the original code for an ARM based dedicated processor has been ported and not re-written from the ground up for Intel based processors on the Mac and PC. The JX3P plugin also suffers for the same thing, pretty lazy ports.