YOURS loyalty program

Forum to discuss all aspects of Roland's Cloud
Synthtron

Re: YOURS loyalty program

Post by Synthtron »

There's no difference, and it's not ownership--it's permanent access for as long as it's in the Roland Cloud catalog. If, for some reason, the instrument ever got dropped from the catalog, then you'd get to pick a replacement. The access rights to the instruments are identical if you just stay on your current paid subscription or if you switch to the promotional annual subscription.
I noticed that verbiage on the cloud site. This is my main concern with the whole cloud thing and a big reason why I have not taken the dive.
If something is dropped from the catalog then forget it cause it will be gone. I do not like this set-up Roland has going on. A few years from now they could scrap this whole cloud thing then everything will be gone. I like to own my instruments Hardware and Software.
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

Synthtron wrote:
If something is dropped from the catalog then forget it cause it will be gone. I do not like this set-up Roland has going on. A few years from now they could scrap this whole cloud thing then everything will be gone. I like to own my instruments Hardware and Software.
As the generations change, I believe we will see much more of this in the future. I think younger people really want to have access to a specific function or service - they don't care so much about the actual tools enabling the service. Less and less people are buying music albums today - instead they stream the music from the cloud when needed. No physical albums to store and have lying around collecting dust.

Car pooling instead of ownership. Cloud storage instead of hard drives. Horsepower on demand.

But it is a game of trust - you trust that the providers won't suddenly pull the plug and leave you in a world of hurt.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

mimoid wrote: As the generations change, I believe we will see much more of this in the future. I think younger people really want to have access to a specific function or service - they don't care so much about the actual tools enabling the service. Less and less people are buying music albums today - instead they stream the music from the cloud when needed. No physical albums to store and have lying around collecting dust.

Car pooling instead of ownership. Cloud storage instead of hard drives. Horsepower on demand.

But it is a game of trust - you trust that the providers won't suddenly pull the plug and leave you in a world of hurt.
I have been using Roland for about 30 years now and while I love Roland I know how they operate and would not trust the Roland Cloud as something that will always be there (like pulling out my trusty Juno-60 or JV-1080 or whatever hardware synth). Changes in technology and trends in making music could see this Cloud idea go bye bye and those who choose to rely primarily on that will be crippled. Do not get me wrong I like the idea of Roland VSTs but not the way they have it set-up with their current cloud format.
iixorb

Post by iixorb »

This whole concept does make me think twice about over relying on the Roland Cloud plugins in my tracks; even more so now that I understand the 'Yours / P24L' scheme doesn't guarantee access in, say 15 years from now if the service gets pulled.

That said, many other vsts like Omnisphere etc require online authentication and are also potentially at risk of becoming unavailable if the authentication process disappears.

Long Live Hardware :-) (and techs with soldering irons !!!)
mangepange

Post by mangepange »

iixorb wrote:This whole concept does make me think twice about over relying on the Roland Cloud plugins in my tracks; even more so now that I understand the 'Yours / P24L' scheme doesn't guarantee access in, say 15 years from now if the service gets pulled.

That said, many other vsts like Omnisphere etc require online authentication and are also potentially at risk of becoming unavailable if the authentication process disappears.
I bought a new computer the other week. Just had to install Roland Cloud Manager and pick the instruments and done. In that case this cloud solution is handy.

FAQ: How many devices can I authorize with my Roland Cloud account? Five

But can you unauthorize a computer? Long time before I've used five computers. But it will happen.
thartnett

Post by thartnett »

mangepange wrote: FAQ: How many devices can I authorize with my Roland Cloud account? Five

But can you unauthorize a computer? Long time before I've used five computers. But it will happen.
Yes--in the Roland Cloud Manager, under "Settings", then "Manage My Devices"
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

iixorb wrote:This whole concept does make me think twice about over relying on the Roland Cloud plugins in my tracks; even more so now that I understand the 'Yours / P24L' scheme doesn't guarantee access in, say 15 years from now if the service gets pulled.

Long Live Hardware :-) (and techs with soldering irons !!!)
That is why I always, ALWAYS render all my tracks to audio. I don't trust for a second that a specific piece of hardware or software will be there tomorrow.