Issue with shifted pitch on Roland Cloud / Zenology

Forum to discuss all aspects of Roland's Cloud
Ben1000

Issue with shifted pitch on Roland Cloud / Zenology

Post by Ben1000 »

Howdy. I am using Zenology on an M1 Mac with Mainstage...

I have an issue where by sometimes when I load mainstage, the Zenology patches on every song will be out-of-tune about about half a semitone. It feels like a pitch-bend wheel is being held down... but this is not happening, and it doesn't matter which keyboard controller I use or which patch I use.

It's out of tune with every other plugin. It doesn't matter which Zenology patch I use, and hitting 'panic' doesn't help either. Everything is just 'transposed' slightly. Only on Zenology patches. My work around right now is to reboot the machine, and then it seems to fix itself for a while, but sure enough, I will load Mainstage again a day later, and it'd back playing out-of-tune once again. It's not the master tuning, which is set to 440.

Could it be a 44.1 vs 48K issue? Not sure about that? Any ideas would be welcome... Thanks!

-Ben
Ben1000

Re: Issue with shifted pitch on Roland Cloud / Zenology

Post by Ben1000 »

Well, lots of views but not a lot of replies.... :(

A little update. I've spoken with Roland, and they confirm this is a sample rate issue. It looks like Zenology is currently only stable right now at 48Khz sample rate, which is not too much of an issue.... unless, like me, you are using a Roland Juno DS as your audio interface, which can ONLY accept 44.1Khz as a sample rate... This is where Zenology starts playing out of tune... :(

Roland has confirmed this seems to be the issue, but has not given me any guidance as of yet as to the possible solution...

Best,

Ben
natbuk

Post by natbuk »

Hi - I had the same issue with Zenology plugin and Logic Pro

I was able to recreate it fairly simply - here's a vid of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g10toBRnCw
Orbit-50

Post by Orbit-50 »

I'm having this problem in Ableton Live 11. It's when I reload the project that everything is out of whack. Not cool.
BrianMcClelland

Post by BrianMcClelland »

Hi, friends! Brian from Roland Cloud here. We have seen some reports of this behavior and we are still investigating the issue. Commonly, resetting your session sample rate to 48kHz does correct the detuning of ZENOLOGY. If you are noticing this behavior in your system, please feel free to drop a line to us in the Support department through the Contact Support portal in the lower left menu of Roland Cloud Manager, and we'll take care of you. Thanks! 😊
Ben1000

Post by Ben1000 »

Hi, Brian...

The problem is that my Roland Juno DS does not support a 48kHz sample rate... So it's very frustrating that I can't use my Roland Cloud with my Roland Juno DS audio interface...

Let me know your thoughts...

Best,

Ben
BrianMcClelland

Ben1000 wrote: 21:49, 14 January 2022 Hi, Brian...

The problem is that my Roland Juno DS does not support a 48kHz sample rate... So it's very frustrating that I can't use my Roland Cloud with my Roland Juno DS audio interface...

Let me know your thoughts...

Best,

Ben
Hi, Ben! Sorry to hear that you're unable to use the JUNO-DS because of this. Please feel free to reach out to our Support department. We are compiling this information for our engineering department through the link at http://www.rolandcloud.com/support. Thanks!
Orbit-50

Post by Orbit-50 »

Thank you for the reply Brian. I really hope they are able to rectify this problem. If there is some reason that they designed Zenology to require running one's host at 48khz, then I guess they have made their decision, but they should clearly say so. It's disheartening for those who run all of their projects at 44khz, and who aren't fond of changing their hardware sample rate because one plugin will not function properly at the standard sample rate of 44khz. I was really looking forward to being good friends with Zenology Pro.
natbuk

Post by natbuk »

I agree with Brian - Simply suggesting to use 48kHz is not a fix

This doesn't fix it for me either as before I discovered that switching to 48kHz could work around some issues, I edited some of the tuning of the partials by hand (wasting more time).

It's a real shame this is still not fixed. It really can't be that hard a bug to find - and has been around for months now.

This is such an awful bug because you can't trust that when you save your project, that you will be able to get back to what you had when you re-load it.

I have a number of projects, days and days of work that are now non-working as a result of the Zenology unreliability.

But as this bug doesn't even seem consistent, many of those projects have developed further Zenology-bit-rot, and tracks are out of tune (again), whether 44.1k or 48k, and now my 'pro' license (seems like calling any of this stuff 'pro' is a bit of a joke quite frankly) has expired, I have no way to edit/fix the partial tuning, and no intention of paying Roland any more money (and they've had quite a lot of it over the past years).

My advice - avoid Zenology - because you can't trust that anything you do will reload correctly when you come back to it later.

This also applies to the various zenology-based models like Jupiter 8, sh101, JX8P etc. in which you can't retune the partials in because in those models, they've made that all set 'under the hood'.
Yeahroon

Post by Yeahroon »

Hi there,

I had the same issue on my m1 Mac mini with MainStage and Zenology, and also with the JD800 plugin.

Changing to 48 kHZ was the answer to fix this problem.
BrianMcClelland

natbuk wrote: 16:27, 15 January 2022 I agree with Brian - Simply suggesting to use 48kHz is not a fix

This doesn't fix it for me either as before I discovered that switching to 48kHz could work around some issues, I edited some of the tuning of the partials by hand (wasting more time).
Hi, natbuk! We do have a fix coming for this in the ZENOLOGY Pro 1.6.5 update. Stay tuned. Thanks!
natbuk

Post by natbuk »

Thanks Brian - I'm really relieved to hear that a fix is coming soon - happy to try out any beta, if you want to send me something.

I have noticed different behaviour with different sound cards - so if i get everything in tune even at 44.1k, then change to an external sound card (also at 44.1k) get different tuning results - it's really driving me round the bend as I often switch from headphone monitoring outside the studio, which has one set of bad tuning, and inside the studio, with USB sound card, it's still wrong but differently wrong!)

(other sound card is USB audio class 2.0 compliant, so built-in macOS driver).

nat
natbuk

Post by natbuk »

I see there is a new version of Zenlogy out (1.6.5) today - I installed it, and on first try, it does appear to fix the tuning issues.

Will try a bit harder to break it over the next few weeks!

Thanks to all at Roland/Zenolgy team for the update.