Jupiter8, PC software
Juno 106 PC software
System 8 PC software.
https://www.rolandcloud.com/

Pretty cool.
daza1973

Re: Roland Cloud 4.0

Post by daza1973 »

Just got my free month trial and downloaded the Juno 106, Jupiter 8 and System 8 Vsti's..

Although I have nothing to compare them with after an hour of noodling through my JD-XA they seem quite respectable.

I take it after a month they will just cease to work then ???
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

daza1973 wrote:Just got my free month trial and downloaded the Juno 106, Jupiter 8 and System 8 Vsti's..

Although I have nothing to compare them with after an hour of noodling through my JD-XA they seem quite respectable.

I am not sure about it but My guess is yes. I am not sure about this but I think every time you open up your DAW and open a Roland cloud instrument they activate themselves based on your account status? So when your trial period runs out or you stop your Roland Cloud account subscription they will no longer activate and will be rendered non funtional??? Just my guess?? I am not even sure if they will activate if you are not connected to the internet where their server cannot read your computer??????
I will experiment with this later today by unplugging my ethernet cable and open my DAW and try to use the instruments.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

daza1973 wrote:
The answer is that if your computer is not connected to web, you don't have to be actually on the web but if your computer is not connected via ethernet or wifi your Roland Cloud instruments will show up "Expired" Until you are connected again.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

I personally love the Jupiter 8 software it makes it easy to program the synth and I like using as a second Jupiter8, I am just wondering why you can't layer or split the patches the way the original and the System8 is set up??? Unless I am missing something on the soft synth version? I also haven't found a way to save patches on it other than sending the created patch to the System 8 then saving it????
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

richardbates1 wrote:I personally love the Jupiter 8 software it makes it easy to program the synth and I like using as a second Jupiter8, I am just wondering why you can't layer or split the patches the way the original and the System8 is set up??? Unless I am missing something on the soft synth version? I also haven't found a way to save patches on it other than sending the created patch to the System 8 then saving it????
I haven't downloaded/installed yet for a few reasons, but looking through the manuals, you're absolutely right. Very unusual. The "Patch" button that's on the System-1 plug-outs (and opens the library) does not seem to be there. What happens when you tap the "Name" button? Does that open a library, or just enable you to save the current settings with a new name, or just rename the patch?

As for splits/layers, I wonder if Roland is relying on the functionality of the DAW itself to provide this? So, to layer, you'd have to crate two Jupiter 8 tracks assigned to the same MIDI and device. And to create a split, two separate tracks with separate MIDI channels and key assignments, one for Lower and one for Upper.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

rsaintjohn wrote:
richardbates1 wrote:I personally love the Jupiter 8 software it makes it easy to program the synth and I like using as a second Jupiter8, I am just wondering why you can't layer or split the patches the way the original and the System8 is set up??? Unless I am missing something on the soft synth version? I also haven't found a way to save patches on it other than sending the created patch to the System 8 then saving it????
I haven't downloaded/installed yet for a few reasons, but looking through the manuals, you're absolutely right. Very unusual. The "Patch" button that's on the System-1 plug-outs (and opens the library) does not seem to be there. What happens when you tap the "Name" button? Does that open a library, or just enable you to save the current settings with a new name, or just rename the patch?

As for splits/layers, I wonder if Roland is relying on the functionality of the DAW itself to provide this? So, to layer, you'd have to crate two Jupiter 8 tracks assigned to the same MIDI and device. And to create a split, two separate tracks with separate MIDI channels and key assignments, one for Lower and one for Upper.
The name button just gives you the ability to change the name but it doesn't seem to save the patch? As soon as you change the patch and try to find the new patch that was created and renamed is not in the preset library.....strange. So right now the only way I see to save a patch is to send it to the System8 hardware synth and then save. I assume though that for people who don't have the System 8 are kind of out of luck for saving their created patches? That is really bizarre?

As far as layering by using 2 Jupiters is one way but these AU/VST's are really CPU demanding and I have a powerful MacBook pro.......The System 8 soft synth is really CPU demanding! It takes playing around with the buffering settings to get them not to overload my PC.

I have also noticed that there is a discrepancy with the delay and FX sections, when i create a patch with delays and then send it to my System 8 the delays are timed differently? I think there needs to be a few bugs worked out?
rsaintjohn

Post by rsaintjohn »

Well, that's a hot mess right there. A few bugs don't surprise me. But lack of even simple patch management like that seems to make it nearly useless, in different ways, for both System 8 users and DAW-only users.

Can you reduce the CPU drain by reducing the voices down? Something tells me that my MacBook Air (1.4 GHz Intel Core i5) isn't going to handle it well. At the same time, I haven't really decided what I was going to do with them beyond patch management. I get along great with the System-1 VSTs, but I'm not sure I really wanted to use the J8 and 106 in the same way.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

rsaintjohn wrote:Well, that's a hot mess right there. A few bugs don't surprise me. But lack of even simple patch management like that seems to make it nearly useless, in different ways, for both System 8 users and DAW-only users.

Can you reduce the CPU drain by reducing the voices down? Something tells me that my MacBook Air (1.4 GHz Intel Core i5) isn't going to handle it well. At the same time, I haven't really decided what I was going to do with them beyond patch management. I get along great with the System-1 VSTs, but I'm not sure I really wanted to use the J8 and 106 in the same way.
I keep thinking maybe I am missing something but I haven't been able to figure out yet how to save patches. unless their is something staring me in the face I just don't see any saving ability in the software version?

As far as voice reduction there is a selection menu 2,4,6 or 8 in the options section.
I just experimented by having 2 Jupiter 8's at 4 voices a piece and I had no problems with set up, so yes you can have layers but not splits as far as I can see, I guess you could set that up on the midi controller?
FxProject

Post by FxProject »

Love jupiter8 juno106 system8 , it sound the same as the original , very cool !

fx-project
https://soundcloud.com/fx-project/sets/ ... al-edition
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Hi guys, long time no "see" :-)
I've been away for a while due to work, but now I'm back.

I've downloaded and installed all the 3 of them and although the sounds are incredible, they "fry" my computer's CPU, as they require lots of CPU cycles to be able to work...

My System One Pro 3.4 DAW and one of them loaded are already too much for the computer. MacMini i5, 8GB RAM, 1T HDD

As soon as I uninstalled the Roland plugins, the computer just came back to life as before.

Note that I have lots of Plugins + NI's Komplete permanently loaded and never had a problem before...

Maybe they need some fine tuning first... I wonder

Anybody else got this type of problem ?

Cheers,
PauloF
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Yup, very CPU hungry, it didn't take too many instances until i started hearing artefacts too.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Skijumptoes wrote:Yup, very CPU hungry, it didn't take too many instances until i started hearing artefacts too.

Exactly... lots of artifacts
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

When you say that when you uninstalled the Roland plugins that your system ran better? How did you uninstall them?

Because i've been having a few issues with my DAW since installing the Roland Cloud plugins, and curious if i'm best to uninstall them too - but i can't see an uninstaller.

...Or did you not mean uninstalling? :)
system 8 Beta User

Post by system 8 Beta User »

No midi learn function for Fader, Controller or Button and all VST GUI are ugly.

A lot of CPU Power for System 8 / Juno 106 and Jupiter 8 VST Plug ins.

Feel by an annual resetit, needs to be optimized much!

Like U-he or Native Instruments (midi learn function, low CPU Power & VST GUI)