How does Roland Cloud work?

Forum to discuss all aspects of Roland's Cloud
Manic

Re: How does Roland Cloud work?

Post by Manic »

They told that when the beta period is over, you will be able to disconnect to the internet for several days.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Right, and in the meantime they expect you to pay for the privilege too. They're trying to run before they can walk and expecting users to pay for it, then as a reward they will hike the prices eventually.

To me, A Cloud platform needs to have the cloud fundamentals running as step one, i.e. a method of distribution, secure validation that can adapt to being offline, redundancy, patch/preset storage (Which could be shared if users chose so). But, There's not even a central hub, i.e. like an ilok/arturia software centre-like application that holds all this together, you just pick what you want from the website and it's all individual installs.

The only infrastructure is basically a plugin calling home with an email reference and their server saying "Yup, that's ok" for it to load. Sad thing is, something that primitive, i wouldn't be surprised if people aren't cracking/getting round this illegally already.

CPU usage is sky high, you can't automate a lot of the parameters, some of the plugins glitch. It's really annoying that they're close to getting it right yet feels like they're running off in a different direction than they need to be to sort it.

I'm willing to bet this will still be in beta come next year, someone at Roland at that point will panic and the plugins will be sold separately. Roland have a history of walking away from it's customers, i don't think it's necessarily arrogance like many, but certainly down to costs/expense, and if that happens and they have demand for these plugins (And they work!), it will be an easy one-off sell for them.

Trouble is, i would like to be a subscriber, but because of these reasons i'm not willing to jump in as a paid customer right now.

How many are like me?! I don't know, but if i'm in the majority they have got to address these issues now, not hiding behind the "Oh it's a Beta" line, with a "But we'll still charge you" follow up. Hopefully for them i'm the minority, or perhaps not even their intended target audience.
marctronixx

Here's a weird question..

Post by marctronixx »

So I just am causally curious about how this works, so i have a couple of questions.

How much is this per month? Can you pay once a year? Is it contract or you can cancel anytime?

So here's a curious question:

I still have the plug outs for the system 1 and the tr8 (707,808 packs, and the software plug outs for the first system 1) even though ive long sold those items.

So based on what was said here, those plug outs will just vanish from that weird Roland library account at some point, unless i begin to be a subscriber?
cello

Post by cello »

You pay monthly - currently $19.95 per month. Don't believe you can pay yearly. You can cancel at any time.

Re your previous Plugouts that you have bought. Those are not part of the Cloud. They are part of your Roland account - so they will always be there to download if you buy another System-1 or get a System-8. The plugouts can then be transferred to your new keyboard.
marctronixx

Thanks Ce!

Post by marctronixx »

Cello,

Per usual your posts are always informative. Much appreciated.

In your opinion, is this price model fair? Is it worth it? What's been the consensus from what you have seen/heard?
cello

Post by cello »

Glad my post was helpful marctronixx

Difficult to comment on how fair the pricing is - it means different things to different people!

Certainly, Roland have released amazing instruments on the Cloud, the very latest being the D-50. It is also clear that Roland is heavily committed to the initiative.

I have read many comments on the subject ranging from 'Amazing! - the Roland Cloud is now a major part of my workflow, using exceptional instruments' to 'I'm not renting an instrument that Roland could decide to withdraw or not have internet connection at a gig and not be able to use it'.

I lie somewhere in the middle - I mainly use hardware, but record everything into SONAR. I use some VSTs (like Roland's Promars) and Valhalla for effects. I have enjoyed using the Anthology 1987 Cloud instrument (free to use for very early Cloud subscribers), but not used it as a main instrument in a track however.

So, at the moment, I don't feel compelled to upgrade from free to paid subscription - but who knows, that could change with future releases!
Escaperocks

Post by Escaperocks »

I think the instruments in the cloud are wonderful.

I want to use at least one of them live in my stage rig.

And there's my issue. It seems being in Beta will be forever, and having to log into launch the instrument is a no go. I cancelled before my free time was up.

Great stuff, poor implementation, despite what the Roland people keep telling me when I ask simple questions.
marctronixx

Cello...

Post by marctronixx »

Yep, thank you again sir,. I just wanted to hear some armchair commentary on it. ;-)

I use all hardware myself (record through an analog desk to a fostex D2424LV 24 track and still master to DAT) and since i have a REV2, Jupiter 80 and Ob-6 (and now my first monosynth the SE-02) along with MPC gear, i dont think this would be something for me. 20 bux is cool and to have access to those types of instruments is choice.
SepticUnderground

Post by SepticUnderground »

*content removed by cello*

[ADMIN EDIT] Whilst you have a valid point regarding the risk of hacking, we can't have pointers in the Clan to such hacked items that are the IP of Roland.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

As for the live thing, well, while it's pretty easy to get a signal via a paired mobile device or something to authorise the plugins for the session, in the real world things don't always work out well like that.

The worst experience i had was doing a live event and it was a 21st birthday party, night was going great, until i got the mum of the girl come on stage and say to me "Ok, you can play the birthday song in five minutes, we're bringing out the gift.".

Didn't have any kind of birthday songs (happy birthday etc.) so i looked at my phone, 4G signal - yes, this will be fine - said i'll find it and route the cables from phone to mixing desk, so the mum went running off out back.

However, the minute i went to use that data connection it just went dead on me - nothing, and those 5 minutes of trying to get *Any* happy birthday song seemed like a life time. it got to the point where the room was silent, so i just took the mic and started to sing it. This was great until i didn't know what the girls name was "Happy birthday to mmmffmm... " lol.

So, yeah, technology exists, and this authorisation shouldn't be an issue - but as above, it's always ready to catch you out and make you look a plum.
SepticUnderground

Post by SepticUnderground »

SepticUnderground wrote:*content removed by cello*

[ADMIN EDIT] Whilst you have a valid point regarding the risk of hacking, we can't have pointers in the Clan to such hacked items that are the IP of Roland.
Understandable, I wasn't linking em BTW, I just saw them listed yesterday. From the accompanying infofile on the Roland Cloud emulator: This is a joke plugin which supports only 44,100 and 48,000Hz rate.

Does the official Roland Cloud also only supports 44.1 & 48khz or all sample rates? (96khz etc)

My biggest issue with the Roland plugins is the 90s era small size GUIs. Not really on par with nowadays expected quality/design. Look at what U-he is doing for instance.

When Roland release multi output AudioUnits of the TR-8 etc it would be really nice. Or multi-output plugin versions of the 808/909/707/727/606 That would be the moment I will seriously consider a subscription model. Not for the current lineup. Especially if you have the system8/tr8/vt3/integra7/VariOS D50 set like I have.
thartnett

Post by thartnett »

SepticUnderground wrote:
Does the official Roland Cloud also only supports 44.1 & 48khz or all sample rates? (96khz etc)
The sample rates for the Roland Cloud instruments are in the specifications pages:

https://www.rolandcloud.com/catalog

Click on the instrument you're interested in, then on the Specifications tab.

A variety of sample rates are supported.
Manic

Post by Manic »

They are working on better gui's!
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

Manic wrote:They are working on better gui's!
Yes here is a reply from Roland Cloud on that issue:
Richard Bates Why are the Legendary synth GUI's so bad? When I choose 200% on my retina iMac the graphics are very pixely and blurry....the only Legendary synth that has a high res GUI is the D50. Whoever worked on the D50 graphics should do all the GUI's, they are far superior.

Roland Cloud
The new GUI's are much better.

Richard Bates
When will they come out?

Roland Cloud
We don't have a release date yet, but they'll be announced here when we do.

Richard Bates
Glad Roland is improving the GUI's