system 8 owners

Forum to discuss all aspects of Roland's Cloud
skinmechanic

Re: system 8 owners

Post by skinmechanic »

So basically the System 8 isn't expanded beyond the day it was released (Juno 106 came later but was always part of the package) unless you don't subscribe to an overpriced monthly cloud service. for a so-called flagship to pay near £1,300 and get no expansions or nothing more in regards to any plugins or librarians to store new sounds because as usual Roland's file structure is appalling and the amount of memory locations is poor. I think the option to purchase plugouts should be available alongside a cloud option. I'm seriously rethinking my System 8 ownership, it makes the DSI REV 2 appealing at the moment for the same price. I have used the Juno 106 quite a bit but the JP8 engine I can get the same results from the SNS engine on my Integra-7 and the System 8 synth engine I have re-programmed some of the sounds easily with my V-Synth XT. I have the D50 anyway on the XT. I remember Cakewalk going the monthly subscription route but have now reverted due to backlash and offer an option for "One-Off" purchase.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

Nhanyaro wrote:https://www.rolandcloud.com/catalog/leg ... ynthesizer

No plug-out capability.
Maybe Roland needs to create a DCB hardware platform? Something with up to four partials (waveforms).
jerry_merry

Post by jerry_merry »

Why would anyone remotely consider the Sytem-8 could host a D-50. Yes the Facebook Roland cloud page was misleading with comments from the Roland Cloud stating that it would be a plugout. But they then backtracked on that comment. I don't think the cloud people are really aligned to the system-8 or even know what its about. They are just keen to raise revenue subscription and if that means the odd exaggerated story then I am sure they will "big it up"
jerry_merry

Post by jerry_merry »

mimoid wrote:Still a bit puzzled how a D-50 emulation can be achieved with the System-8 hardware. There are only four volatile RAM chips on the main board, and nothing that can be used to store samples. So either you will have to load the D-50 on each reboot, or I am missing someting (the latter being more likely).

It can't