Details of service (Not on official site)

Forum to discuss all aspects of Roland's Cloud
Skijumptoes

Details of service (Not on official site)

Post by Skijumptoes »

Thought i'd create this thread to detail some of the information that's out there from various social media sites from official channels so people know more about the service. I've been very cynical about the service, mainly because these details have not been communicated effectively, however, this is what i have noted:-

1. If you are a Beta member and carry on subscribing when RC leaves Beta, you will remain on the Beta ($20) price plan for the duration of your membership. (Still questionable on this, anyone know for sure?)
Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 12.26.13.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 12.26.13.png (45.42 KiB) Viewed 2124 times
2. A Loyalty scheme will be introduced, 12 months loyalty = 1 plugin to keep of your choice. (This has been equated to $240 per plugin, so one presumes the loyalty includes those on the beta ($20) subscription price also).
Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 12.29.41.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 12.29.41.png (59.18 KiB) Viewed 2124 times

3. After Beta, the plugins will operate without internet connection for a couple of days between authentication.
Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 12.25.09.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 12.25.09.png (41.52 KiB) Viewed 2124 times
Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 12.25.36.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-31 at 12.25.36.png (42.31 KiB) Viewed 2124 times

If anyone else has anything to add we can get a comprehensive list here (Note: it needs to come from official accounts).

For me, the points above are much more encouraging, i'd be most interested if anyone has information on the other price plans (i.e. the Storm service), and have read anything on CPU usage being further optimised. There was also some talk of pre-paid vouchers, and PayPal payments scheme being a possibility.
mimoid

Re: Details of service (Not on official site)

Post by mimoid »

Excellent idea - thanks for compiling this!

TBH, I think Roland seem quite determined to make this cloud service work. I have a good feeling about it.
Manic

Post by Manic »

Rolan Cloud also told something about cloud rendering, which will be there in the future (might need the Storm supscription) to save cpu and actually render audio of instruments from the cloud. I'm not sure if they mean like streaming audio while playing an instrument thats not on your harddisk but in the cloud, but I think so.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Yes, that's what the Tera series are, Terrabytes of samples to make a real high quality instrument, as i understand it - locally you get a light version (Smaller samples) of that instrument to rehearse/write melodies, and when done the midi data you've recorded is sent to the cloud and an audio region is rendered and returned back to place in the DAW.

I thought this was already running? Must admit, i don't think i tried the Tera piano out as it didn't appeal, so not 100% on that. Maybe someone else knows?
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

I have the Tera piano, but I have not seen any kind of online rendering. It works just like any other software instrument. Actually it is a very fine and sweet sounding piano in itself so for me using a higher quality rendering is not particularly interesting. I am wondering if this will apply more for the upcoming Tera guitar, I can imagine that it will require more detail than what can be played directly.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

No the Tera Piano was the instrument they were using to lead the whole 'Cloud' platform, 8TB of piano, sampled ultra-deep across more velocity layers than the current midi protocol supported, hence the need for a RAINLINK controller to fully control this incredible amount of power, apparently. :)

I just presumed that was all running. They look so far out of their depth with this, i'm not really sure what else to say on the matter, sadly.
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

Here is a conversation with the Roland Cloud support from yesterday (May 31 2017):

Q: I have heard vague rumours that we may keep one plugout after one year of subscription. Nothing about this is stated on the Roland Cloud web site however. Does this apply to all subscription levels (even the early beta), or just some upcoming subscriptions (like the Storm level)?
A: You have the general idea correct; however, the details of the loyalty program are still being finalized. There will be an announcement on RolandCloud.com and other media channels when it's in its final form.

Q: Is it going to be possible to purchase the individual software instruments without subscribing to the Cloud service? Currently the Legendary series (Jupiter-8, Juno-106 and System-8) are not found in the Content Store.
A: Roland Cloud instruments are available for use to subscribers. As of right now, there are no plans to sell the instruments outside of the subscription model.

Q: I understand that the Content Store will eventually be decommissioned. What will happen with the already purchased AIRA plugouts? Will they still continue to work and be possible to authorize even without access to the Cloud service?
A: The Content Store plug-outs are standalone pieces of software. Once purchased, they're yours to use forever regardless of your status with Rolandcloud.

Q: The user interface of the VST plugins is extremely small by today's standards, and actually quite hard to use on a large screen. Zooming in on the interface is just scaling up the graphics, thereby effectively losing all definition, making the user experience less pleasurable. Is this issue being addressed for the current AIRA and Legendary instruments?
A: This is something we are aware of we're looking at ways to optimize the instrument UI for a variety of screen sizes. Please understand that as we are still in beta, there are quite a lot of suggestions that vary in priority.

Q: I fully understand that you cannot provide details about future plugins/plugouts, but it would be good to know whether or not there are plans for an extension of the Legendary software series, or if you only intend to continue developing the Anthology and Tera series.
A: Expansion of the Legendary line is definitely in our plans. I can tell you that we do not intend to only expand on the Anthology & Tera series. There will be an announcement on RolandCloud.com and other media channels when they're in their final form.