Roland cloud D50

Forum to discuss all aspects of Roland's Cloud
mimoid

Re: Roland cloud D50

Post by mimoid »

timbo4000 wrote:I have a mint condition D50, not a single mark to be found. However it is 30 years old so at some point it may start to break down etc until it no longer works. That's why I'm seriously thinking about joining the Roland cloud. Once I've been a member for a year you can pick an instrument to keep, Obviously that will have to be the D50. Then I'll have the vst D50 forever. Everyone's a winner.
Yeah, that is the idea. Also the virtual D-50 is not just a simulation that resembles the original, but is in fact the very same code as the original, running in a different shell.

However, forever is a long time... a virtual D-50 will work only as long as it is compatible with the operative system of the day. And then after some large system upgrade it won't.

A real hardware instrument on the other hand works without a DAW and without relying on a computer. But of course the components will eventually break down, the display will go black and the keys will stop triggering notes. And then one day it will not fire up any more.

So there is no hidden pot of gold at any end of the rainbow.
jerry_merry

Post by jerry_merry »

Roland cloud has been hacked. All software available offline plus a Roland cloud emulator and does not need an internet connection to function. It actually sounds better than the Roland Cloud itself. (Not that I am promoting or condoning software piracy.)

No pot of gold for Roland..........

The plugouts got hacked two years ago. The hackers at the time warned Roland to improve their way of managing registration or risk being hacked again........
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Could see this coming a mile off, they never employed a true secure 'cloud' system, they've done everything backwards, and completely failed to explain everything clearly, instead using personal 'promises' via social media.

It's like buying a load of jewellery and sitting it in a shed, with plans to build a brick house around it later. They should have got the platform nailed WAAAY before the content, so there can be no complaints if hackers are now running wild with their jewellery.

I feel terrible for sitting and watching this happen if i'm honest, because the library of plugins they have is very appealing, if a little earlier in their optimisations. But if what you've said is true then i'm further than ever from being a subscriber as lack of revenue (Which piracy brings) into the service will kill it. I know that's catch-22, but honestly, i'm not going to make it a part of my setup when they can drop it whenever they choose, that's madness.

For the low monthly costs model, it is the people who wouldn't normally buy into software that you're attracting. And it's those same people who will turn to other means if it presents itself. Those means, if what you've said is true, seem to have presented themselves.
skinmechanic

Post by skinmechanic »

So £200 overall if you wanted to keep the D50 Plugin after paying 12 months subscription? Not sure it's worth £200 When you can get the Korg M1 for £40 and the whole bundle for £160 which gives you the Wavestation, Polysix, Mono/Poly and M20 plugins. I think they've got the whole price model wrong completely. I currently have the D50 as part of my V-Synth XT and I trialled the D50 plugin for the 30 day trial and did some extensive A/B testing and didn't find a lot of difference with the sound.

I would like the D50 as a plugin just because it's easier for workflow but not at £200.
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

skinmechanic wrote:So £200 overall if you wanted to keep the D50 Plugin after paying 12 months subscription? Not sure it's worth £200 When you can get the Korg M1 for £40 and the whole bundle for £160 which gives you the Wavestation, Polysix, Mono/Poly and M20 plugins. I think they've got the whole price model wrong completely. I currently have the D50 as part of my V-Synth XT and I trialled the D50 plugin for the 30 day trial and did some extensive A/B testing and didn't find a lot of difference with the sound.

I would like the D50 as a plugin just because it's easier for workflow but not at £200.
You forget that in the meantime you also have access to all the other VST's in the Roland Cloud repository. Besides the u-he plugins, that's some of the most authentic sounding software Roland synthesizer emulations that exist, superior the Arturia or TAL versions.

The Korg VST collection is a very poor comparison: while the M1 and the WS are pretty decent (although with a dreadful interface), the MS-20, Polysix and the MonoPoly are ghastly reproductions that don't even remotely sound like the originals.

The V-Synth XT D-50 is actually quite different from the real D-50. The new Legendary version on the other hand sounds nearly identical to the original (which it should, as it is actually the same PCM samples and the same binary code ported to a new framework). The only difference is the slight degradation caused in the DA conversion in the original (and through the analog cables and into the mixer/sound card).

With all this in the equation, I think the price for the subscription service is not at all that bad. The JV-1080 will be released in the autumn, and if Roland (as promised) will provide more plugins in the future, like the JD-800, JD-XA and the V-Synth, things are looking even getting better. YMMV of course.