JV-1080 (?) in the Roland Cloud

Forum to discuss all aspects of Roland's Cloud
mimoid

JV-1080 (?) in the Roland Cloud

Post by mimoid »

At least that's what I think it is. Since it is unfortunately in the Anthology series, it is a bit cryptic, but what else would it be... Four volumes of orchestral samples, that's got to be the JV-1080 + expansion cards.

They certainly take ages to download (I have been downloading them for half an hour now without any progress bar).
cello

Re: JV-1080 (?) in the Roland Cloud

Post by cello »

Yes, I saw the announcement for 4.4 today. My guess is you're right - would be good to know your thoughts once you've downloaded them!
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

I am not sure if the new Anthology Orchestra is a replication of the JV's or the XV's of the 90's? they sound good as far as trying reproduce PCM strings and horns from that era, but they make me really appreciate my Jupiter 80 which when it comes to this kind of acoustic reproduction, I will take my Jupiter 80 superiority any day. But I am not complaining....just saying?
andyr1960

Post by andyr1960 »

I missed these sounds on my old JV/SRX cards, nice to have them back again.
andyr1960

Post by andyr1960 »

timbo4000 wrote:It may be the sr jv80 02 orchestral expansion card. That had 255 patches.
Yes it is. It would be nice if all the old JV cards were available in this format.
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

This is definitely not a virtual JV-1080, but a sample reproduction of the SR-JV80-02 Orchestral expansion card.

Sorry to say, but this is quite a lacklustre release. Samples like these might have been state of the art some fifteen-twenty years ago, but sound pretty lame today - definitely no match for modern and vastly more organic and realistic sounding orchestral libraries like Hollywood or Berlin.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Not everyone wants super realistic orchestral sounds, so i think this is quite a cool release, and cloud platform issues aside, they're being extremely good at getting the content out there, updates to the service are most definitely active.

[geek]Anyone got a confirmed download size for this? Crazy to think that these will be the same samples but uncompressed, would be an interesting comparison to the size of the original ROM's.[/geek]
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

timbo4000 wrote:
mimoid wrote:This is definitely not a virtual JV-1080, but a sample reproduction of the SR-JV80-02 Orchestral expansion card.

Sorry to say, but this is quite a lacklustre release. Samples like these might have been state of the art some fifteen-twenty years ago, but sound pretty lame today - definitely no match for modern and vastly more organic and realistic sounding orchestral libraries like Hollywood or Berlin.
May be. I don't think their that bad. I had them once in my xv5080 and they sounded great. If your a hardcore composer who requires the very best " zimmer " then perhaps not, but if music is hobby say in a bedroom studio and can't afford to spash out then i think their just fine.
That is correct. If money is a limiting factor, it might be quite okay in a pinch. But for orchestral work, there are vital components missing: no phrasing, no playable runs, no trills, no bow stroke control, no slurs, no adaptable key or wind noises and no different vibrato expressions. But again, it is a matter of what you want to do with it. For pop background string arrangements, it is absolutely fine. For serious scoring work, no.

My major disappointment is really that it is not a replica of the JV-1080, which is an incredibly powerful synthesizer on its own and not just a sample playback module. I hope we will soon see the release of a new Legendary synthesizer.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

mimoid wrote:My major disappointment is really that it is not a replica of the JV-1080, which is an incredibly powerful synthesizer on its own and not just a sample playback module. I hope we will soon see the release of a new Legendary synthesizer.
It seems to me that all the anthology stuff is basically the same engine (i.e. what Kontakt is for Native Instruments), and they are loading it up and packaging with different libraries.

So you're right, despite being faithful in terms of samples, everything else will fall within what the engine delivers.
markcohn

Post by markcohn »

Anyone figure out the deal with this?

I don't think the JV-1080 is the Anthology release at all, since I have the Orch volumes installed, but it's showing v 1.1 of a separate plugin in my instrument manager. No AU or VST installed, though. When the 1987 came out, there was no D-50 installed...that came later when it was a proper plugin.

So...ummmm...yea, confused. Seems something maybe got pushed on their end prematurely?