Roland Cloud update 4.6

Forum to discuss all aspects of Roland's Cloud
jerry_merry

Roland Cloud update 4.6

Post by jerry_merry »

I have to say it’s sorry to see another month go by and still no new plugouts. Too much emphasis on this Flavr stuff which clearly is easier/quicker to knock out.
mimoid

Re: Roland Cloud update 4.6

Post by mimoid »

Yeah, I have no interest whatsoever in Flavr, which to me sounds pretty much just like a package of some (mediocre) multisamples - kind of like a free 1% demo of a larger sample set, and not the slightest bit inspiring.

TBH, my enthusiasm for the Roland Cloud is slowly wearing thin, so I have decided to give the service a few more months, sincerely hoping that Roland is working on some really good stuff. If nothing else besides more sample sets shows up, I will be pulling the plug on my subscription.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

What else can they deliver at this point though? I mean, they need to/must have some updates up their sleeves for when subscription numbers dwindle and they can bang them out within a months notice to bring sales back. But to me there's already a lot of content there, particularly with their classic synths - they're still the jewels in this service.

Problem is, They've ticked many of the big boxes already, and if this is long term they need to steady the updates now, and just let people create and make use of the service.

CPU efficiency would be most welcomed on the legendary plugins, and of course some firm direction/content for plug-out users would be nice too.

Other than that, perhaps cloud features, such as community patch libraries etc. may be a good path for them to tread, as you can theme presets throughout the seasons, or release as decade/genre packs, or even translating current songs so people can learn how they are made/use them for covers?

Even throwing out 'insider' video tips/tricks from the likes of Ed Diaz etc. would be a cool feature to make the service more interesting, and help live up to it's 'Cloud' moniker.

As you say, these Flavr updates are just a way of pushing out small sample packs within a plugin that prevents you from loading them up/manipulating in your own sample software. I quite liked the first one as it had some grit, but soon tired of it.
mimoid

Post by mimoid »

I have already suggested a few improvements, but never heard anything back. For one, I could imagine packaging the Boutiques as VSTi’s (the JX-03, the TB-03 and the drum machines). Although I don’t know anything about the technical platform, the code in the Boutiques should not be impossible to port to the VST format, and the graphic designers would then just need to create a nice graphical user interface... but what do I know.