[REQUEST] Add IMPORT/EXPORT MIDI mappings

Forum to discuss all aspects of Roland's Cloud
encore

[REQUEST] Add IMPORT/EXPORT MIDI mappings

Post by encore »

Hello,

I am currently using my hardware Juno 106 to control the roland Cloud software VST version.
Thefore I have first tried to map every control common to both the hardware and software using the Learn MIDI CC popup menu from the VST but I realized then that when closing the VST and reopening it I had lost all my mappings I spent HOURS to setup. Ouiiiiiiiiiiiin why me.... 8((

I have tried then to save a (dummy) sound preset hoping that it would save the mapping with it as suggested by someone from the Roland Synth Fans Facebook page but I could not managed to make this work. This person also suggested me that it could be possible to save these mapping from the DAW hosting the VST, then I started to dig a bit in that direction.

Since I do not need to open a heavy DAW when I only want to tweak sounds, I am most of the time using the excellent SAVI host from Mr Hermann Seib to open my VSTs. (please see the picture in attachement below)

I have therfore MAPPED all the MIDI parameters for the VST and saved them in a file but if I want now to open this VST in a DAW or any other VST Host and tweak the sound, I will have to redo all these MIDI parameters mappings from scratch in EACH VST host I am using... and loose hours of MIDI setup.

I was wondering then why Roland developpers could not add such functionnality (EXPORT/IMPORT midi mapping in/from a file) directly in their VST like it is done in other plugin's brand.(like ARTURIA ones for example)
This also could alow us to create mapping for different MIDI keyboard controllers (e.g. I am using a 88 keys heavy weight keyboard at home and a small light keyboard of 25 keys when moving) and recall these mappings easily from the VST itself.

Many thanks in advance for your understanding.

best regards,
Eric
Attachments
MIDIMappings1.jpg
MIDIMappings1.jpg (344.56 KiB) Viewed 4363 times
burningarms

Re: [REQUEST] Add IMPORT/EXPORT MIDI mappings

Post by burningarms »

This is probably my most desired thing in Roland Cloud. I'm often creating new templates in my DAW, uninstalling things, reinstalling things, creating similar setups across multiple computers, etc. Not being able to save/reimport my MIDI mappings is a huge workflow killer. I'd like to set things up once, back them up to cloud storage, and never worry about mappings again for the rest of my life.

At the least, I'd like to see an Export/Import feature. Ideally, although less important, I'd like to also see a grid of all the mappings, where they could be changed manually, by typing text into the grid. This appears to be what the OP was showing in their image as well. So the cells would look like:

LFO Rate | CC 102
LFO Delay Time | CC 103
Range | CC 104
DCO LFO | CC 105
etc.
BrianMcClelland

Post by BrianMcClelland »

Hi, encore and burningarms! Brian from Roland Cloud here. I'll add this to our weekly request roundup and let the team know that this is something that you'd like to see. Thanks for the feedback! :)
encore

Post by encore »

Hello Brian,

Thanks a lot for you answer.

cheers, eric
encore

Post by encore »

Hi there,

hmmmm... this is already two years later after I started this topic but unfortunately this MIDi feature do not seems to be supported yet by the Roland Cloud Juno 106 VST as far as I know.
Roland software developers are producing very good software (especially with the recent Juno 106 version 2 update) and this software could easily be even greater with a few MIDI functionalities like the two ones suggested in this topic.

Even better, if I could use directly my juno 106 hardware to control the Roland Cloud JUNO 106 VST (so the hardware SYSEX could be understood and mapped automatically to the software controls like it is the case for the system 8 software/hardware) it would be the Graal and Roland would have then created the ULTIMATE JUNO106 VST version. I own also the JU-06A and it could be also cool if it could be used as well as MIDI controler.
newFeature.jpg
newFeature.jpg (259.51 KiB) Viewed 2287 times
I cannot understand why Spectrasonics , Cherry Audio and TubeOhm software developers could implement this feature and not Roland ?
The hardware Juno 106 would be then the ultimate MIDI controller for the Roland Cloud VST.

I am hoping that one day someone from Roland decide to implement this MIDI feature.
Many thanks in advance.
Best regards, Eric
BrianMcClelland

Post by BrianMcClelland »

Hi, Eric! It's great to hear from you There is a way to save your MIDI learned controller configurations in your DAW by using the Save as Default setting. This will load the instrument with the same controller configuration each time.
Screenshot 2023-05-05 at 11.14.22 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-05 at 11.14.22 AM.png (1.29 MiB) Viewed 2267 times
As for SYSEX implementation, the RC versions of the instruments usually have additional controls and don't necessarily transfer in a 1:1 way with the original hardware. Because the original hardware may or may not have MIDI/SYSEX output, the RC versions are designed to be accessible by most modern controllers, rather than primarily oriented toward the originals. As we develop new products, I will share this feedback about interest in more direct connection with original instruments. Thanks!
encore

Post by encore »

Hello Brian,

thanks a lot for your detailed answer and the image.
most of the time I am not using a daw in fact and this feature is not available in the different VST hosts I am using.
As this feature is available in other brand's VSTs (Softube, Arturia, etc) and I was wondering if it Roland could implement it one day as it is quite useful...
MidiLearn+mapFileSaveRestore.jpg
MidiLearn+mapFileSaveRestore.jpg (47.18 KiB) Viewed 2249 times
> As for SYSEX implementation, the RC versions of the instruments usually have additional controls and don't necessarily transfer in a 1:1 way with the original hardware.
I understand this but as but I thought it was a pity not being able to control Roland VSTs with the original Roland hardware "out of the box" without the need of sysex <=> CC converter in the midlle .

Thanks anyway for passing the information to Roland , perhaps one day they will add this feature.
Best regards, Eric